Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
21,951 Posts
I'm sorry Dennis. I thought you were asking about the accuracy of the pump only. My mistake...again. :)

Yeah, I know, and I can appreciate the efforts they make at keeping things accurate. Still, when we're dealing with low volume numbers typical of a fill on a motorcycle, little bits of variation might change mpg numbers.

I think my point is; we can't get accurate numbers from a tank, or even 3 or 4 tanks. So whether you use GPS, or the odometer, as long as you stay consistent you will come up with a long-term average and then, if there's a significant fluctuation, it may indicate an issue.

However, I did once put over 6 gallons of gas in my 5.8 gallon tank. And Ken, you'll never figure out your average mpg, because you are racking up kilometers.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Here in mountain country using a GPS for mileage is fraught with peril.
When you lose GPS signals which you will your unit either makes a straight line perhaps several miles long or a wild guess as to which road you took from lost to regained signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get like 28 MPG or so. Mind you, I am a fat guy and a lot of my trips are sorta short. I get low to maybe mid 30s when traveling longer distances. All of my MPG calculations are trip odometer/gallons of gas filled. And I might forget to turn the choke off going down the road here and there.

·
Administrator
57,954 Posts
today, a group of us did a little tour from ES to Oark, AR for a lunch date with the waitresses :rofl:

down there at Clarksville, I filled up and Fuelio claimed 35.3 mpg.....
all of that was at reasonable speeds, highway 62 from Rogers to ES,
and 45 to 55 from ES to Oark.....

168 miles altogether on the one tank.....

Me and my rides, never get the high MPG readings other folks can.

DaveO430 today, figured his at 45 mpg and filled up with us.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Why do some people twist what I said? My suggestion was to use a phone speedo app so you know if speedo/odo is running true,
or know the correction for miles indicated.

Was assuming not everyone owns a gps for the bike, and I did not say track a mountain and tunnel trip with gps interruptions.
Go far enough up the freeway to know 10 means 10 will do.
With gps, go up freeway and compare distance to odometer

Once you know real distance traveled you can determine actual mpg
Could be spot on or off 4mpg, if bothering to track, track with precision

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Why do some people twist what I said? My suggestion was to use a phone speedo app so you know if speedo/odo is running true,
or know the correction for miles indicated.
Or you could count telephone poles which would likely be more accurate than your cellphone app.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I don't believe that the 2500 RPM is the magic barrier as far as getting good mileage. When I play around on some twisties. I hardly ever get below 2500 rpm's & get the mileage don't suffer. That being said, When I'm on the twisties, my MPH is never very high. I believe the factor is more of pushing the air out of the way at higher speeds then the rpms to get to the higher speeds.
I log all my gas usage. The last 17 tankful's is 3354 miles @ 86.68 gal. = 38.7 MGP. That is normally shifting at 3K, but only traveling at 60 mph which is my normal commute. Going to NASR 10, Rick H. & I mainly stayed off the interstate roads & pulling an Aspen camper, I got 33.42 mpg. Coming home from NASR 10, It was all interstates, & I got 27.5 mpg. It is not so much the RPM's , but the speed that effects the MPG.
I have noticed that having the Austone rear tire, I get 12 - 18 more miles per tankful then I got with the E3

·
Administrator
57,954 Posts
I just returned from Eureka Springs today, and used the 4 lanes and 80 mph when legal to do so, at 65 mph most of the way once out of the Arkansas twisties for the first 25 miles or so.

I was pulling my trailer, which is a square wooden box, and the windshield is an Optic Armor +4 and it pushes a lot of air in front of you.... that is evidenced by being almost impossible to hold your arm up straight above it at 80 mph....you have to push like hell to hold your arm in place.

On this one trip, which BTW was Pure Gas which I bought just for grins..... was the worst MPG that I have recorded this summer. That will be the last time I waste any money on Pure Gas for my 1800, it just does not compute with the wallet.

Result? 28.68 mpg as recorded by Fuelio

The trip going to Eureka Springs was on the rural roads and speeds of 55 usually and sometimes 60 or 65 in a few places. That one tank of gas returned 35.37 mpg.

I made it a point to always fill the tank to the very tip top of the filler neck, this takes a lot of little niggling clicks to do so, but it produces the most accurate fillup measurement.... ( disregarding different pumps and their readings )

Here is a list of this summer's tank reports:

28.68 pulling trailer at max speed possible

33.75 running twisties around ES.

35.37 w/ trailer going to ES

29.4 w/trailer going to ES

29.55 no trailer, just messing around locally, lots of 4 lanes

32.81 no trailer, just messing around locally, lots of 4 lanes

and that is all I have ridden the bike this year.

I pretty much agree with galaxyhunter, and I have commented on this several times, it is how fast you run, and how big is the sheet of plywood in front of you that we call a "windshield"

for a different reason, I am going to have to trim down, or change my windshield, the +4 version is about 6 inches too tall to go inside my Toy Hauler's garage... so changes are coming....

·
Administrator
57,954 Posts
Now, on the one tank of gas that we ran the twisties on, I was following DaveO430.

he has a shorter windshield, and he got 45 mpg on the same tank of fuel that I recorded 35.37

no trailers involved, just having fun at speeds of 15 mph up to 45 or 50 mph sometimes.

in a few places, we were able to get to 65 for a couple or three miles.

so, why the huge discrepancy between Dave's bike and my bike?
The only difference is mine is an '02 and his is a 2010 IIRC w/shorter windshield.

·
Administrator
24,655 Posts
Now, on the one tank of gas that we ran the twisties on, I was following DaveO430.

he has a shorter windshield, and he got 45 mpg on the same tank of fuel that I recorded 35.37

no trailers involved, just having fun at speeds of 15 mph up to 45 or 50 mph sometimes.

in a few places, we were able to get to 65 for a couple or three miles.

so, why the huge discrepancy between Dave's bike and my bike?
The only difference is mine is an '02 and his is a 2010 IIRC w/shorter windshield.
Going to Oark we were going mostly down hill and I was running pretty easy comparatively. Going back to ES we ran some harder (still easy compared to what I do usually) and going mostly up hill I got about 41. I did reach xxx speeds a couple times.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
It would be interesting to see what the fuel mileage results would be if Dave and John swapped bikes and rode a tank or two out. It might be that John's riding style is why he doesn't get much gas mileage. He said his previous 1500s didn't get up in the 40s either.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
John,
Are your O2 sensors old. If they get old and lazy that will affect fuel mileage. Most cars have crosscounts but I don't think that info is available on your bikes. The more times O2 sensor voltage passes back and forth over perfect the better the fuel mileage. I know there are other possibilities but this is common for old sensors.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts