Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am starting a new post because of what I found this morning.

I had posted last Friday that my oil light had flashed on while running about 62 mph with the cruise on. I had changed the oil about 50 miles before that happen and it was full so I had no idea of what it could be. I had several guy jump in and gave me great ideas of .what it could be and all the ideas involved changing the oil again.

I went for a ride this morning to heat up the engine before changing the oil and this time I was watching real close. After about 20 mins of riding I had the flash again but this time I was looking at it when it happen so I could see what came on. It looked like the same flash I saw last week BUT with my eyes looking straight at it when it happen this time, I could see what DID come on. Yes my oil light came on BUT my fuel light, oil light, cruise set and cruise on light, all came on. I never noticed any change in the engine before it came on but I did roll off the gas as soon as I saw it, so I am not sure if the engine would have missed or not. I did not have my cruise on this morning like I did last time so that is why I did not see it last time. And last time I was also watching for deer so I never noticed all the lights like I did this morning.

After I got home and changed the oil and started the bike the only light that came on for a few sec was the oil light just like it should.

So I am not sure I had\have an oil problem. But what should I look for with all those lights coming on at one time?

This is for a 97 with about 45K miles on it.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I'd jump all over this and offer the assumption that your lights are running a "self test" after the power to the "RUN" items was interrupted by the low-oil pressure warning (lots of vehicles will pop-off if oil pressure fails.

However, I'd be wrong -- I do not remember the oil lamp or oil-pressure switch having any interplay with power control and/or the ECU (only the lamp and the reverse system)...

A bulb-check would also have the "R" indicator light-up,

The lights you list are largely NOT related to each other (except at bulb check) and the oil lamp will only light when it's "switch" wire is grounded (low pressure) - this is the same wire that the Reverse-Control uint watches to ensure that the engine is running.

You mention dropping-of of the throttle, I know, but if this IS a bulb-check the bike should stumble (like a rolling re-start)...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am thinking I pulled the clutch in at the same time I rolled off the throttle. The engine was still running and never seemed like it was off. I am about to head back out and ride (oil has been changed) and if it happens again(I hope it doesnt't) I am going to try and hold the throttle without backing down and see what happens. I did not notice the R come on and with me looking I think I would have seen it. But I missed the other lights last time.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

The lights on my SEI started flashing like yours. It was the main fuse at the battery.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

By chance do you know what size that fuse is? I could go and pull the seat and look at the size, and then put the seat back on and go get a fuse, and pull the seat again to install the seat. OR, if you know what size that fuse is I will go get the fuse and only have to pull the seat once. Am I getting fat and lazy or just smart?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Mines a 30 amp.

The only time my dash lights came on like yours was when that fuse had a crack in it. When I hit a dip the lights would flicker at me.

Yours is a 1500 though so it my be different. Just check it real good.

Kurt

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The dogbone (50A) or the Main Fuse (30A, in the rubber boot of starter Solenoid A just forward of the battery)

Might as well look at loose relays (#6, #3) and/or the 'fuse block' while you're there

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

After going out there and looking at the “R” indicator light and seeing how bright the other lights are, the “R” may have been on without me seeing it since it is not as bright and on the other side of the panel. So it may be doing a bulb check, but to me the bulb check would be done when the ignition is turned to the ON position and would go out when the engine is started. Do the wings do that after running for 20 mins or so?

My book says the:
Main fuses are 55A and 30A
Reverse are 65A and 5A
Other fuses are 15A, 10A and 5A
So I will replace the main ones just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Well you can get the new fuses if you want and replace them. But before you pull the old fuses check them real good and see if there is one cracked or burnt or loose.

Kurt

·
Pwhoever
3,079 Posts
imported post

Just out of curiousity, was your LCD screen blank when you started and that came on as well when the other lights flashed on?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

My LCD was blank when I took off...early morning both times but the screen had come on before the lights flashed each morning. My wife and I did about 65 miles this evening and no lights.

·
Pwhoever
3,079 Posts
imported post

Well then, I would bet the problem lies in your gauge cluster. Known problem on the 96-97 models. It is caused by moisture or high humidity. When you drive for a few miles, it will dry out, the LCD will come back on and those idiot lights you mentioned will flash on for a second then go out. Your clock will most likely be way off as well. You can either just ignore it, try to find a gauge cluster from another year, or do the "FIX". But either way you go, I would also highly recommend putting dialectric grease in ALL the connections behind the cluster to help seal out moisture...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I keep thinking about doing the "FIX" but waiting until I get a little more wing know-how under my belt before I tear into it. I guess I will ride it and keep an eye on it unless someone else on this site comes up with some other idea. Thanks everyone for the help, this site rocks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.