Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought my first Goldwing :clapper:. It's a 1992 GL1500 SE. I really enjoy riding it. There's no work to riding at all compared to other bikes I have owned.

Here's the problem - after I turn off the ignition, there is a whirring sound every couple of minutes (fuel pump?) and a bad odor of gasoline. I have checked the vacuum petcock and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. I ordered a diaphragm kit for it any way.

Am I missing something else? I searched the forum re: Gas Odor but all the threads never mention the fuel pump coming on after shut down.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

·
Administrator
26,952 Posts
imported post

It really should be impossible for the fuel pump to run with the ignition off. It could be someone has rewired it to battery power for who knows what reason. It is supposed to run off the engine control module.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
It really should be impossible for the fuel pump to run with the ignition off. It could be someone has rewired it to battery power for who knows what reason. It is supposed to run off the engine control module.
would or could a bad ground from/in/on control module possibly cause this? it says it should have continuity at all times.

mark:waving:

·
Administrator
26,952 Posts
imported post

I don't think so Mark. Besides, a lot of other issues would show up with a bad ground.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

thank you dave. just trying to learn all i can abut these 1500's. i love them:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

May not be the fuel pump - just hear something whirring every couple of minutes after I turn it off - and it smells like gas :?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

open gas cap next time before you turn it off, to see what happens.

maybe.........maybe not

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

When I open the gas cap (after I turn it off), it is pressurized.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i was thinking that may be the noise you're hearing, the pressure going out, a little at a time. try leaving cap loose start and run then turn off and see if noise continues

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok - just went out to the garage - started the Wing and loosened the cap. Left it run for a couple of minutes and turned it off, still with the gas cap loose - NO WHIRRING!!! Does this mean that the gas cap is not venting properly? How do I fix this?

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

id say that is the problem...........if in fact it is a real problem. could try putting seafoam in cap 1st.

follow the vent tube from cap, disconnect, put air through it and see if blocked. hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

So - should there be pressure in the tank? When I open the tank after a run, there is definately pressure in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

my 94 does...........i've never read about people smelling gas unless their cap was blocked.

i really don't think you have anything to worry about if its running good.

i still might would try some seafoam in cap if you are smelling gas, and look close to see if you have a possible gas leak.

better safe than sorry.

maybe someone else may come along with a better idea. good luck

but i would think..if you did have a gas leak it'd be running bad also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.