Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,808 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Connected the fuel gauge's fuel line and a touch of the starter button turned the fuel pump on and I was rewarded with a quick splash of fuel and the pressure gauge jumped up to 2.5 psi.
That is good and should work just fine. When doing swap overs all parameters should be known and taken into consideration.:smiler:

JD

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Always a fun job - The pumps for the Carb'd '88 Honda Prelude have always been viable replacements for the GL1500's in-tank units (IIRE the OEM flow is <20gph with max pressures of 4psi which is low enough for the GL's float-valves to stop up.

I don't think that I've run across any of the aftermarket pumps for the Prelude application that I would not trust in the 1500's tank, though I've gotta admit that this install of the NAPA part does seem near-OEM.

I've always wondered if the Honda fuel system guys didn't just grab from the automotive side anyway - lower cost of production and even the tank plate seal works in both applications...

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

From a cost perspective, they would use whatever they can borrow from the parts bin.

GM has been doing it for years

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I have a 1996 GL1500 and just went through putting on new fuel pump from the scenerio of the honda prelude.. The bike had been sitting for about 6 years and the fuel pump was rusted from the old fuel. Didn't bother to soak and clean old one just to have it be to weak after all that. Now that I have the fuel pump on it, it does start but now I have fuel coming from all kind of tubes under the bike. Does anyone know if the pump needs to be adjusted or anything or if I have some other problem? I have not put the breather back on yet, but I don't recall unhooking any fuel lines when I took it off. There are 2 small line under bike close to brake peddle fuel is pouring out of one of them, and also in the front under the radiator area. It is definitely pumping fuel now, but just to much... Any help would be great.

:15white:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you may have other problems with the leak.

Start a new thread for your bike with details.

Fuel pumps normally do not have any settings, just install and done.
Leaks could be bad hoses, stuck floats, other things.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Yeah -- hopefuly, we'll see that thread from tempbear sometime soon...

and I'm also hopeful that the part's folks he worked with got him the 88 Prelude pump for the Carb'd engine (not the EFI one that would over-pressure the float valves as he's describing)

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

I just used this thread to replace my fuel pump and it went smooth. Thanks for the info....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Just replaced mine with the NAPA unit...smooth and creamy....until I filled the tank..fuel is just pouring out of the fuel pump cover...took it loose the gasket looks great, bolted everything back together, put it on the side stand and its leaking. On my way back to use some make makagasket to see if it'll stop. Any other thoughts??

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

The gasket likes to fold over when you put it back in.

Just make triple sure that it is properly positioned. Mine felt like it is brittle so I ordered a new one.

Also be sure the pump is positioned as far forward as you can get it. If it sticks back out further than the mounting frame it will strike the bottom of the tank and the flange will not bolt down flat.

If the flange will sit down on the tank w/o you having to push down on it, you have enough room.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The gasket likes to fold over when you put it back in.

Just make triple sure that it is properly positioned. Mine felt like it is brittle so I ordered a new one.

Also be sure the pump is positioned as far forward as you can get it. If it sticks back out further than the mounting frame it will strike the bottom of the tank and the flange will not bolt down flat.

If the flange will sit down on the tank w/o you having to push down on it, you have enough room.
That may be the issue....needed to apply just a little push to get it to settle in place.

The forma gasket worked...so I'm going to leave it alone and order a new one from Honda..then reposition everything when the new gasket is in place.

Thanks for the alignment tip.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

My only question about this is this...

You state the fuel return line (that "splashes" into the tank from ner the access hole) returns fuel from the carbs that is not used...

Where would one tap into that line outside the tank...? If possible...

I know one end comes into the tank by the access port for the fuel pump assmbly, but the other end goes in where...? I think that may be a place to tap a line for an aux tank installation...?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

I would like this to be a "sticky"! The part numbers and the pics make this info invaluable. I've printed this thread, but I know I'll lose it(forget where I put it)when the time comes to need it!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
imported post

Great info, would anybody know if the low fuel sensor comes with the napa pump....many thanks

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

The low fuel sensor is a separate part and has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

Go back up the thread and look at the pictures there, it is the small "bump" attached to the frame about 2/3rds the way down on the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

Minimac wrote:
I would like this to be a "sticky"! The part numbers and the pics make this info invaluable. I've printed this thread, but I know I'll lose it(forget where I put it)when the time comes to need it!
better to add it to the part numbers list we already have.

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

It was pointed out on another forum that the link posted by the OP for Berrysweb.com no longer works. I just clicked on it and sure enough, it looks like the site no longer exists. I know that it (Berrysweb) was being run by Needlenickand maybe he can find a way to get the original writeup posted here at Goldwingfacts somehow....

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
It was pointed out on another forum that the link posted by the OP for Berrysweb.com no longer works. I just clicked on it and sure enough, it looks like the site no longer exists. I know that it (Berrysweb) was being run by Needlenickand maybe he can find a way to get the original writeup posted here at Goldwingfacts somehow....
No problem, that article has been archived at:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhWUXVrQXBmVGFGa2NUQw

21 - 40 of 65 Posts