Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking at the parts fiche and it showing something called a "gasket,base" that goes between the fuel pump assembly and the tank. Do I need to replace this part in order to replace the pump assembly? I have a shop manual and it says nothing about replacing the gasket. I'm wondering if it's a reusable part - maybe plasic or something. The bike is a '99 GL1500SE. Thanks for your help.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

It is a rubber gasket...

When I did mine I tried to re-use the old one..

It leaked so I had to remove it and replace it anyway..

It is a cheap enough part at about $20 if I remember correctly...

Here is a picture of the old & new together...

It seats here ...

Depending on condition you may be able to re-use it...?

But mine was junk after 100,000 miles...It was deformed and did not reseal properly...

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Wings - consin. That's just the info I needed. So I'll order the gasket (I'm at 105,000 miles). By the way, one of the members here pointed to a site that sells the pump waaaay cheaper than anyone else - $227. And the gasket is $8 or so.
http://www.cyclecentralpowersports.com/
You might want to check them out. Their OEM prices are really good by comparison.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I was able to reuse mine and it didn't leak. I didn't give it much thought at the time, I just assumed it was going to be okay to reuse.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When I took out my fuel pump to replace the low fuel level sensor in 2009, I reused that gasket and didn't have any issues on my 92 Aspencade. :baffling:

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

It may not leak as evidenced by those who were able to reuse the one on their bike...
In my experience it was not reusable (and I did try-it leaked)...
For $8.00 why not get a new one...? Once you have invested $200+ in a new fuel pump assembly...?

:?
Just saying....:cool:
I like to save money where ever possible too....but this may be an issue of pennywise..pound foolish...
My replacement gasket cost me close to $20 to get...About $8 for the part and $12 for shipping and handling....(grrr). All because I didn't include it with the shipment of other parts I had ordered....<sigh>:gunhead:

Your choice...

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Wingsconsin is right...much easier (and cheaper in the long run) to replace the gasket when replacing the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

KC, I agree. It turns out the gasket is $5, not $8 so not worth the risk. I ordered pump and gasket. Thanks all for your input. This site is a real life-saver.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

New pump, new gasket just makes sense. No offense to those who think different (I have done just that before, too).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.