Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sorry for the length of this post..

Two yrs ago I went on a trip and ended up getting stranded about 5 hours from home. The issue was the alternator. The voltage output was not consistent as the revs. increased and therefore the fuel pump didn’t get enough voltage to work. I replaced the alternator with a CompuFire and the issue went away. Now then about 2 wks ago I was taking a quick afternoon ride and the bike began to sputter as I cruised about 70mph (cruise control was on). If I gave it more throttle it just started to bog down. If I went back to cruising about 65mph then the situation cleared up and I could give it momentary bursts of throttle. But if I went back to cruising around 70mph the issue returned. I think that it was only getting enough fuel to barely supply it at that speed.

What are the thoughts on this? Is it fuel pump? Or is it a carburetor issue? I notice that the fuel pump doesn’t pump with just the ignition switch on. The motor (or starter switch) must be on. Is this normal?

Does the carburetor need a rebuild? Also I hear a vacuum leak when I use the choke. Is this right? Or is it a vacuum leak?

The bike has about 85K on it and it’s a 1996 model. Should I just rebuild the carb and replace all the vacuum lines? (scary thought!)

HELP!! I can’t ride. :needahug:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

There is nothing would suggest a carb rebuild all you said is normal when did you last change the fuel filter also you could run a can of seafoam in a tank or two and see will it clear up for you

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Does sound like a clogged filter or line.
> Ditto, it's a problem with fuel supply at high speed, so need to look at the things that affect that. (I doubt Seafoam is going to do anything, as it typically helps only with Low speed plugging of the carb, and the small openings that affect that).

Try bypassing the fuel petcock, and report back If that does not work, then change the fuel filter too.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll change the filter WHEN I sort out why it died on me the other day 20 miles from home. ......:walker::walker
But it was getting fuel when it died:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

How much fuel was in the tank when this happened? Was it happening at the same fuel level each time?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
How much fuel was in the tank when this happened? Was it happening at the same fuel level each time?
Good questions. I have a crack or hole in my main gas pickup tube that makes the bike bog when I have gone about 75 - 80 miles after a fill-up. Every time it does it, when I get gas, I need almost exactly 2 gallons of gas. I have started to run on the reserve setting all the time now.

A quick way to figure if that is the problem, is to switch to reserve and see if the problem persists. That same test may indicate a clogged main pickup.

You can blow some air back through the fuel line into the tank to clear it, although it may be temporary. Do this on both main and res settings.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

drones76 wrote:
pwhoever wrote: ...A quick way to figure if that is the problem, is to switch to reserve and see if the problem persists...
> GL1500 does not have a Reserve

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
drones76 wrote:
pwhoever wrote: ...A quick way to figure if that is the problem, is to switch to reserve and see if the problem persists...
> GL1500 does not have a Reserve
DOH! Nevermind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.