Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It won't run on idle, only on choke or with throttle engaged. I eliminatedfuel filter,fuel pump by replacing the filter and fuel pump with Airtex fuel pump, the oldone still works, I'll keep it for a spare. My next is I'm going to check the auto fuel valve, then engine control module then check the rotor bolt. Please help!!!! If anyone with words of wisdom, I'm all ears,I'm doing all the work myself. That's the only way to know my bike

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi dkgilman, I know very little compared to most others on this great site, but before you go spending any more $$ on parts, I am sure a guru will come up with an answer, 'cos it sounds a bit more like an air filter or carby issue perhaps?....I imagime the parts you mentioned aren't cheap to replace unless you can be sure you need to. I assume the bike runs o/k otherwise apart from not idling?
Not much help i'm sorry, but more knowledge will follow soon I am sure. ;)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

This sounds like the slow jet is clogged (very common really) --

If the bike runs fine at speed and has troubles holding an idle AND you've assured that all of your vaccum lines are happy, then the slow-jet would be my next stop...

Running at 'normal speeds' would indicate that your "normal fuel delivery" was adequate (so no issues with fuel pump, filter, vacuum petcock, etc).

If you've not tried to run some mild solvent though the tank/carb, then you may want to see if that'll clear-out your slow-jet for you, otherwise, it'll be time for a carb cleaning (pull and rebuild). Randakk is a good source for the parts you'll need.

I'd be interested in which "rotor bolt" you're referring to... this is for a 1500 (as shown in your profile), right? What year?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Perished vacuum lines are common, there are about a mile of them on the gl1500.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Satan is correct. You are raising the idle to compensate for clogged slow jets. I am guessing the vacuum slides keep lifting the idle. The choke necessity is a good clue that the slow jets are causing a lean condition.

It's a pain, but I suspect you are in need for a carb overhaul.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Need a little history on the bike. Did you just buy it after a long term storage? Was it running good one day, and next hardly running at all?
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.