Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add a fuse block to my GL1500 for some extra accessories and it looks like the one at CycleMax has everything you need included, but at $50 + shipping seems a little pricey. What are some other options for purchase and placement of an optional Fuse Block? Mounting the CycleMax one on the battery makes that battery area look a little cluttered with wires. I know this isn’t rocket science but I want to keep it as easy as possible to wire so I don’t screw anything up!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Im a newbie and my info might not count for much, but I used the Electrical Connection block made for the 1500 and adapted my own ground block...keyed on from the 5amp acc. fuses....all Im powering at the moment is 2 acc. outlets, 1 in the trunk and 1 where the cb would go...good luck

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
If you have a pick-a-part auto salvage yard pull-a-part etc.... you can usually get in for a fee like $1.00 or $2.00 whatever the going rate is pull a fuse block out of a car I don't think they will charge too much for it they usually have set prices for fenders, engines, transmissions, accessories, electrical etc... etc... You might check into that or just a used one from a regular salvage yard. you should be able to add whatever accessory you want through that fuse box.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Im a newbie and my info might not count for much, but I used the Electrical Connection block made for the 1500 and adapted my own ground block...keyed on from the 5amp acc. fuses....all Im powering at the moment is 2 acc. outlets, 1 in the trunk and 1 where the cb would go...good luck
I am with you there TennX, I have an EC block and love it. But unlike you I did not have the idea of keying it off the acc. connection. (smart move! Easy! Safe.)

You know... those EC fuse blocks are basically just components glued to a plastic panel. I bought one awhile back, hacked it up a bit and stuffed it into the battery box of the Valkyrie. I did key that one off the accessory line.

Makes, me feel much better knowing that all ancillary power is relayed and fused. There is no reason you couldn't do the same on a wing. But I will say again... I love mine.

For me... that was the first thing I bought.

T

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Your local Napa should carry a BUSS 15600-06-20. It has 6 fused circuts available and cost is around $12

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I just added the EC expansion panel last week. I already had the ham radio, the accessory power point, the air horn and the extra light hooked to the battery and various grounds. I needed to add the power line for the HIDs (separate posting forthcoming) and the Gerbing so I dug out the panel I bought last year and finally installed it. I also added a terminal block from Radio Shack as a common ground for several of these items. I cleaned up all the cable runs, wrapped them into bundles and basically made the whole setup very neat.

The EC panel has a relay that comes on with the switch (when connected to the ACC screw on the factory panel) and a lead that turns OFF with the switch (meaning it's on with the key out). I connected this lead to a harness for the battery tender and ran that plug up into on of the rear glove boxes. Now I connect the tender w/o pulling the side cover and do not worry that it's "HOT" when the bike is running.

All in all, very happy with the result and well worth the hour or so it took. I will try to post images once I remember to charge the camera or for Mr. OldRider2, you are welcome to stop by and take a look for yourself.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good ideas from everyone. Thanks.

Andy I will probably take you up on that before I start. I'll PM 'ya for phone and location. Probably some weekend.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
That's what I used and it fits and works beautifully.

Where did you mount it Terry?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I added a fuse block last week to mine as well. After buying the fuse block, fuses, relay, wiring and all connectors, that $50 cyclemax unit looks like it's priced appropriately compared to what I spent. Wished I had seen it in time.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
That's what I used and it fits and works beautifully.

Where did you mount it Terry?
I mounted it on the battery clamp. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
The fuse block is mounted to a piece of polycarbonate (the grey stuff). I cut 2 holes in the poly to fit around the 2 rubber bumpers on the battery clamp. So to get the battery out, I take the clamp off and swing the fuse block up and out of the way.

Picture failed to load. I'll try again.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Looks good Terry. Thanks for the picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.