Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a better picture on down in the thread.
On my pinch bolt side of the frame I have about a 1/8" gap between the axle washer and frame after installing my axle and tightening the pinch bolt?
Is this normal, I've attached a picture. (Top is left)

I would assume this is normal because of the play needed for the brake caliper brake bracket to move?
I have about the same space at the shock bracket mounting space. (Shining bolt above the axle in picture)
I'm getting for a road trip and want to make sure I've installed correctly.
Thx!

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts
Yes, that's fine. The axle slides through the swing arm until it tightens down on the caliper bracket and then the pinch bolt clamps it in place.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I assume that's the rear wheel of a 1500 that you are talking about. I just had mine off, and can't quite make out your picture. But, there should be a spacer, then the caliper bracket, then the washer, as shown in the attached How-To. There should be no gaps between any of them after the nut on the opposite side is torqued down. That's the reason for the torque.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my question would be, is the caliper bracket design to float? If so it wouldn't it Need a space to give room to move with brake wear.?I don't know my picture keeps posting up side down.
I'll try and post another picture later. Thx

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
On my pinch bolt side of the frame I have about a 1/8" gap between the axle washer and frame after installing my axle and tightening the pinch bolt?
Is this normal, I've attached a picture. (Top is left)

I would assume this is normal because of the play needed for the brake caliper brake bracket to move?
I have about the same space at the shock bracket mounting space. (Shining bolt above the axle in picture)
I'm getting for a road trip and want to make sure I've installed correctly.
Thx!
That "gap" is normal .... but not to allow movement of the caliper bracket. It's normal so that you or I have room to insert all the pieces that go on the axle between the swing arm leg on the left and the final drive on the right.

The brake caliper bracket itself does not move once all is properly tightened up.

First the axle goes in from left to right through left side swing arm (pinch bolt loose) and then through washer, through caliper bracket, through collar which rides inside seal of wheel, through inner race of left bearing, center spacer that's trapped between wheel bearings, inner race of right bearing, through splined drive adapter, another spacer and through final drive to exit out right side. Rotate brake caliper to line up with shock bolt end and insert left side shock bolt followed by right side, torque the lower shock bolts now. A nut with washer base goes on the axle next and this gets torqued first which pulls all that is on the axle into straight tight line. Next to be torqued is the 4 bolts holding final drive to swing arm if they were loosened which allows the final drive to be aligned with left side of swing arm via rigid axle stack, and then then finally the pinch bolt on left leg which likely is not against that washer .... which is OK.

Now you can attach the caliper with pads which itself floats on the bracket as the pads wear.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
I don't know,, that don't look right to me. I'll have to look at mine,, but I don't think I have any space/gap like that.
What keeps everything from sliding back and forth between the swing arm??:?

Oh wait,, it just came to me I think. The larger "collar end" of the axle is up against the washer.
So that gap would be fine.
Sometimes it takes me a few times :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've taken another pic.
I was hoping to avoid tearing it all down again, everything seems to be working smooth with no binding.
I had bled and replaced rear brakes and pulled and lubed the drive shaft.
I do see only the caliper should float and not the caliper bracket.

I was reading through my manual again and it indicates in this order to:

To ease axle installing do not tighten gear case mounting nuts until axle is installed.
Tighten left lower shock mount bolt. (Thought I did, but may not of did this first?)
Install and tighten the rear axle nut.
Tighten rear axle pinch bolt. (Seems strange to do last but that's the way I did it)

It looks like I will be tearing it all down again and double checking everything,
Thx for the input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

That gap is normal. My 97' SE has the same gap. When I changed the rear tire the first time I had the same question as you.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
The axle has a step that hits the hard washer, then the whole bunch from there to the nut is "gathered" together tightly. The gap is totally normal, and will vary from bike to bike. So, it settles in to what you have, and the pinch bolt is tightened.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
It is a pinch bolt. And that's what it does, pinches the rear axle so it can't move or turn, after the axle nut is tightened. It allows you to remove the axle when you need to take off the rear wheel. It has to be that way or you would need a totally different design. Once the torque is taken off the pinch bolt the space allows the clamp to relax enough that you can pull the axle through it.

This type of system has been used for years on front forks, handlebars, gear shift levers, and rear axles.

What you see is normal.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I had the same worry that you have after I installed my rear wheel last summer but all was good and as others have said-no problem.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
It is a pinch bolt. And that's what it does, pinches the rear axle so it can't move or turn, after the axle nut is tightened. It allows you to remove the axle when you need to take off the rear wheel. It has to be that way or you would need a totally different design. Once the torque is taken off the pinch bolt the space allows the clamp to relax enough that you can pull the axle through it.

This type of system has been used for years on front forks, handlebars, gear shift levers, and rear axles.

What you see is normal.
I can't decide if he is talking about the gap under the pinch bolt. (normal)
or a gap on the axle. (should be none) Arrows would help on the pics.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
I can't decide if he is talking about the gap under the pinch bolt. (normal)
or a gap on the axle. (should be none) Arrows would help on the pics.
The gap between the back side of that washer and the left side swing arm leg is perfectly normal.
That end of the axle is larger diameter than the rest of the axle, there is a sharp step.
You have the pinch bolt loose and tighten the axle nut on drive end, that sets the axle and pulls the washer tight against the rear brake caliper bracket (which likewise pulls the bracket against spacer in wheel and etc).
The left side swing arm leg pinch bolt is still loose and setting it's natural position, there is a gap ..... and now you tighten the pinch bolt to spec which "fixes it's position" and gap remains between washer back and swing arm leg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.