Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm pretty sure my gas cap isn't venting like it should.

Recently did a carb service and the bike is running great with one exception. When the bike is hot and sits for say 30 minutes or more, restarting is difficult and when it does fire it blows some smoke and smells rich. At first I thought leaky float valves but then noticed major pressure relieved from tank when cap is opened. I never even hear a hiss like I have on bikes in the past. Even if I releive pressure and re-install cap in 5 minutes I remove cap again and the pressure relief is huge.

I did a test on a hot bike and left cap loose. Re-started every 30 minutes and she fired right up no issues. I think the pressure in tank is overwhelming the float valves. What do you guys think? Replace cap and try again?

Craig

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,872 Posts
On my 1500 I punched a hole in the filler neck.

Others have drilled a tiny hole in the gas cap.

I have never had a problem with fuel overflow and smelling raw fuel even though it is permanently vented.

YMMV though.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may try and drill a minute hole. I checked on price for replacement Honda fuel cap. $60....I think not!!! Is there a aftermarket equivalent?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I know on my 1200 the gas cap was causing problems stalling, I soaked it overnight in Seafoam, I was amazed at the filth and dirt that leached out. If that was the problem it is solved now.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
I know on my 1200 the gas cap was causing problems stalling, I soaked it overnight in Seafoam, I was amazed at the filth and dirt that leached out. If that was the problem it is solved now.
Had not thought of that. I am in the habit when I fill up of turning the cap back (looser) just a bit from full tight.
Make sure the hose for the cap is clear also, though you probably already checked that.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK let bike sit over night with no pressure in tank. The bike fired right up but did blow out a puff of rich smelling smoke. I'm beginning to think my theory of pressurized gas tank isn't the whole issue. Could I now have leaky float valves?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK update.....After leaving bike on side-stand for 30 minutes with cap loose(to make sure no pressure I tried to start and it fought me. Just cranked....I looked at tubes on right-hand side of bike and one tube dripped a few drops of fuel. I'm assuming this is a carb overflow tube. Should I suspect a float valve or float itself? Float level??

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
It does sound a lot like one of the needle valves is leaking some and causing a flooding condition after sitting a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.