Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem/solution to a key not working in a GL1500. A friend of mine stopped to get gas after we made a 190 mile ride. He put his key in and turned it --- nothing in the lock would release. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the solution? Do we have to take the shelter off to access the lock?

H E L P!:(

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Never had that problem and don't know a solution I am afraid, but just bumping this up so someone who knows might spot it. Sorry not to be able to help.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

You would have a problem taking the whole shelter of as there are levers underneath the gas cover that locate onto the side fairings which normally have to be released first before you can take the top off. Only way round i can think of is taking the side fairings of at the same time to gain initial access.

Not the easiest of jobs m8. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Sounds like something under the door has jammed the lock!! try tapping the door whilst turning the key.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

remove the seat and were in locates under the fuel door you can put a screwdriver in and release the catch

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll pass that along! Thanks - that is what I thought we would have to do.:)

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the tumbler in the lock came apart. A friend of mine had the same problem about a year ago and had to replace the lock mechanism.

Tom

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

There is a thread a couple of years ago where the same thing happened to me when I was out in the boonies and needed gas.

I will have to search and find that thread as I had to remove something with a nail I pulled out of a fence with my Belt Buckle or something to get my door open so I could get fuel.

We just call it......

*****- Newity. HA

But I do remember that Exavid had the same problem back in 2005.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Foxy just pointed this thread out to me as breaking into things is what I do for a living.

There are any number of ways to get this fuel door open in a workshop but I think it would be more useful to give a road side fix so here goes.

From the basic 1500 Honda tool kit take the smallest flattest spanner provided and the flat blade screw driver (if you have a longer screwdriver it will make it easier) and a torch.

Stand at the side of the bike and gently slide the spanner in the gap between the top shelter and the fuel door and lift the door about 6mm there is more than enough flex in the plastic to do this. Knee down and with the aid of the torch you will be able to see the body of the lock, a gap, and the plastic retaining clip the lock engages into.

Place the tip of the screwdriver into the bottom of the gap with the blade vertical and gently turnthis will easy the retainer away from the lock the the door will pop open. Once open remove the spring retaining the lock and remove it, tape the door down till you get home.

I know it would easier to pry the door up with a screwdriver to get at the lock, but this would mark the plastic the spanners greater surface area will help prevent this.

The normal cause of this type of lockout is pushing the door closed without turning the key, although this was designed to be pushed shut the truth is the locking plunger is made of plastic, its hollowed out inside to allow a metal CAM to pull it back against a spring. Pushing it shut depresses the spring fully; as it passes the lock retainer its fired back out again and its this that breaks the back of the plunger in side the lock that the CAM presses against to pull back the plunger. Same thing with the right side front pocket.

Moral of the story: always use the key to shut the locks.

Took me about 5 minutes to open mine in 3 different ways and a hour to work out how to explain it. I hope its clear:?

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

ala blanca [white wing] wrote:
First try pulling the out a small amount while turning the key. This happened to me and i applyed pressure on the key until it worked. GW
If you have to pull the key back slightly to turn a lock it is usually because the key has been badly:shock: cut or the shoulders of the key have worn allowing it to enter the lock too deeply:(. Try to get a new key cut to number this will give you a fresh start and prevent damage to the locks.:)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thank youKoxx 4, I knew it would be worth urging you to post. :clapper::clapper:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure why the door wouldn't open when the key indeed turned, but I'd be interested in why. Along the same lines, did the early 1500's have a plastic weather flap on the lock? I know the locks on my 85 Interstate had those, and the gas door lock wouldn't open (wouldn't turn) with the key one day. I determined that a piece of the flap broke off, dropped to the bottom (or pushed down there by the key), and wouldn't let the lock open. (Age) I took the faux tank off, and took the lock off, and, while holding open what was left of the flap, I dumped the pieces out, and then the lock worked ok. It let water and rain tho, so I sprayed it occasionally with lube. But, when it turns, but not open, never heard of that.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

No flap on the 15's that I know of Oregonwinger.

I guess on the same lines though that if theROADRUNNER's friend was out on a trip, some not so nice person may have jammed something into the lock. :(

We shall now all have to wait and see what the outcome was. :cool:

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
I'm not sure why the door wouldn't open when the key indeed turned, but I'd be interested in why. Along the same lines, did the early 1500's have a plastic weather flap on the lock? I know the locks on my 85 Interstate had those, and the gas door lock wouldn't open (wouldn't turn) with the key one day. I determined that a piece of the flap broke off, dropped to the bottom (or pushed down there by the key), and wouldn't let the lock open. (Age) I took the faux tank off, and took the lock off, and, while holding open what was left of the flap, I dumped the pieces out, and then the lock worked ok. It let water and rain tho, so I sprayed it occasionally with lube. But, when it turns, but not open, never heard of that.
I can confirm that other than the sprung loaded dust flapthere is no weather protective cover on the locks.

I will try to explain why the key will turn but the lock won't open.

When you put the key in it alines the tumblers so that it turns, at the same time the very tip of the key enters a cam at the bottom of the lock, the camengages into the plastic latch. As you turn the key the latch is pulled in and the door opens. As the Plastic gets old it can break at the point inside the lock where cam engages into it. This cam is also the stop that prevents the latch from popping out of the lock under the pressure of the spring. This spring is quite strong and its most likely to be the cause of the plastic breaking. Constantly depressing the latch and then allowing the spring to fire it back-out into the locked position cancause the plastic to break. By turning the key as you close the fuel door or the right pocket cover will prolong the locks life. There will be almost no warning if its going to break it just happens. These locks are a sealed unit they can't be opened or repaired so its a replacement job.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

koxx4 wrote:
Foxy just pointed this thread out to me as breaking into things is what I do for a living.

There are any number of ways to get this fuel door open in a workshop but I think it would be more useful to give a road side fix so here goes.

From the basic 1500 Honda tool kit take the smallest flattest spanner provided and the flat blade screw driver (if you have a longer screwdriver it will make it easier) and a torch.
Just in case anyone on this side the pond is wondering:

Spanner = wrench
Torch = flashlight

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

My 1100 has a problemlike that, but it's not the lock, I have to jiggle the door a little, then the key will turn

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.