Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 GL1500SE that runs and rides smooth. However,it doesn't seem as though I am getting the gas milelage(this is my first honda goldwing) I thought I would get. I am getting about 200 miles to a tank and that is at 65 mph hwy use. Is that gas milelage normal for everyone else?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
It'd depends on what you're calling "a tank" (6.5 gallons, 5.5 gallons to the low fuel light, or to the "E" on the fuel gauge)... in which case "not really", "kinda - yes", and "yes - damned good".

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Most average from 35 to 42 ish or so give or take sorta.
I tend to get 39 to 41. When the low fuel light goes on you still have around a gallon. Do the actual MPG math over several tanks and see how you compare.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I have a 92 GL1500SE that runs and rides smooth. However,it doesn't seem as though I am getting the gas milelage(this is my first honda goldwing) I thought I would get. I am getting about 200 miles to a tank and that is at 65 mph hwy use. Is that gas milelage normal for everyone else?
To be sure check your mileage by just filling tank then refill to the same spot in your tank & divide your gallons used on that amount of fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
As was said LOL

You need to divide your miles by the gals you filled with. Do that over several tanks to see what you are really getting. Also rock the bike a bit when filling to avoid an air bubble at top of tank and fill to same level at neck each time.
Just a little difference in fill level or rather or not you had the air bubble will effect how much gas the tank actually held. With only 6.3gal to a tank and probably filling when only 5gal or less low it does not take much difference to whack up the MPG with a small error on just one tank.

200 miles is not too bad depending how you figured it in MPG for the gas actually used. I'm just guessing you filled around the E mark so maybe 5-5.5 gals to fill up?
5 gal would be 40mpg good
5.5 would be 36.4mpg OK
6.3gal would be 31.7mpg not so good. But I am guessing here again that you probably did not push the wing into a gas station so not needed that much gas LOL

My 88 did 37.8mpg and my 95 does 40-42mpg so your maybe close

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor mileage

I am thinking I am not getting very good mileage with my 92 1500. I just got the bike, and drive it 120 miles per day for work. The gauge is close to empty when I get back. I run 75-80 mph. All but 14th miles is hwy. I have run three tanks through it. first tank 30, second tank 34.5, last tank 32.5. First two tanks it was 31degrees on my way in. Is this mileage normal for that speed?
The bike starts, idles, runs perfect.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
I am thinking I am not getting very good mileage with my 92 1500. I just got the bike, and drive it 120 miles per day for work. The gauge is close to empty when I get back. I run 75-80 mph. All but 14th miles is hwy. I have run three tanks through it. first tank 30, second tank 34.5, last tank 32.5. First two tanks it was 31degrees on my way in. Is this mileage normal for that speed?
The bike starts, idles, runs perfect.

My guess is that you are on the money, when your pushing 75-80 your mileage goes south a fair amount. A lot has to do with how hard your pushing it/twisting the throttle, but my 1500 sucks up gas pretty fast when on the interstate. I don't spend a lot of time there though. Find the pucker factor is less when I stay off.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
200 is about what I get on a highway run. Of course city only driving sucks more fuel, and how long you choke when cold effect as well.
Other factors may include air temp, geography, head winds and passenger loads.

Most importantly the worst fuel mileage is observed when your favorite song is playing on the radio, on a warm sunny day, on an awesome twisty road with no traffic.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Once you get over 70mph, the sheer volume of air/wind deflected by the large frontal area of a Goldwing makes it start sucking fuel at a more rapid rate.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Once you get over 70mph, the sheer volume of air/wind deflected by the large frontal area of a Goldwing makes it start sucking fuel at a more rapid rate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mileage

Thanks for all the replies.

One of these days I will make the trip at 70mph both ways and see what difference it makes.

I do take off easy and not accelerate hard (for the most part). Something about a wing that helps keeps me calm. My last bike was a 84 V-65 Sabre. That bike had a completely opposite effect on me. I made several trips on that bike back and forth to work at around 100 mph.

The wing is very relaxing.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I get around 33-36 running at max cruise, 75-80, also varies in wind direction, load and temp

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
BTW, Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Speed will contribute to Fuel consumption but on mine, I have noticed Temperature does as well. The colder it is the less MPG I get, the warmer it is out, the better.

My 1500 can get some wild MPG swings depending on how I drive, 60 to 65 I can get 43-46 MPG, 70 or over (3G RPM) the MPG drops to 38-39 average.

200 - 220 is about average for a tank of 5 + gallons, but 200 miles of riding is a lot for one time for me anyways. If not for gas I like to stop to get something to drink or just rest up a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
tfwarner23, Thanks, I was looking for a form and it looks like I found a good one.

jobe05, My cars/trucks are the same way. There is always a 3-5 mpg swing from winter to summer and I don't let my truck warm up either. I feed it enough gas, I don't want to spend any more than I have to.
I know it is a good idea to warm up your engine a little in the winter before you take off.

I had a wrecker business for 29 years and you don't get a chance to warm them up on the way to a accident. I run synthetic oil and change it on time. I have run several trucks to 250, 000 miles and have never had a bad engine.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to outside temps, not engine temps.

My 1200 gets about 45 to 47 MPG. One day last year I rode it to Pennsylvania. When I left here in the morning it was 27 degrees. Due to the cold, I was only going around 65 mph. Fuel mileage was 34-36 MPG. Later in the day as it warmed, I could see the fuel economy getting better and better.

If you ride to work everyday and could see you MPG each way, you'd probably see better MPG on your way home when it's warmer than in the morning when it's colder.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Well paint me extremely jealous of all you guys. I got my 1990 SE last August and so far since I've had it my average is right at 30 MPG. My first two tanks this spring have been about 29.5. I can't for the life of me figure out why.

My tires are good on air pressure.
It came with a huge sail of a front windshield, so I bought a stock one and put it at the lowest setting this spring.
Changed fuel filter.
Changed air filter.
Idles smooth just south of 1000 RPM. 900-950 about.

I ride it to work 65 miles each way and I rarely go above 67 MPH. I try to accelerate keeping RPMs at about 3000 each shift. Nice and easy.

I've come to just expect that is all I'm going to get out of this thing.

This past weekend I took a 3 hour trip with a friend on his '84 1200 and he got 46 MPG...to my 29.5. Most of that was about 57 MPH. :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
My 88 does not like cold temperatures either for mpg.

Also 80mph is 29.5mpg on interstate so i drive 70mph and get around 34-36mpg.

Sidewind, headwind and 50F going to Moonshine,IL in April and MPG was around 33 at 55-60mph. Going home and of course the wind changed to be a headwind at 70-75F and got a respectable 42mpg at 55mph.

puum:
Your idle might affect the mpg a "little." Try 750-850rpm. Also, When i lowered my windshield the air envelope was hitting the passenger seat and lowered my mpg so i raised it to where the air went above and over the back seat. Made a difference on mine and haven't moved it since.

Make sure you don't have a side saddlebag open .. makes it handle a little funny and might affect the mpg also. lol

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Speed will contribute to Fuel consumption but on mine, I have noticed Temperature does as well. The colder it is the less MPG I get, the warmer it is out, the better.

My 1500 can get some wild MPG swings depending on how I drive, 60 to 65 I can get 43-46 MPG, 70 or over (3G RPM) the MPG drops to 38-39 average.

200 - 220 is about average for a tank of 5 + gallons, but 200 miles of riding is a lot for one time for me anyways. If not for gas I like to stop to get something to drink or just rest up a bit.

Very true. Colder air contains more oxygen and hence requires more fuel for proper mixture.
Also, a person uses the choke a bit more to warm the bike when cold, using a bit more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.