Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My gl1500 is having a starving gas problem. It started on 200 mile run at 100+ temperatures. Lost power and I crippled home at about 25 miles per hour. Acting like it was't getting enough gas. Changed fuel filter. Tried again, same problem. Changed fuel pump and lost power about 20 miles out. This time the wing died and would not start. Caught a ride back to house to get trailer and went back to get the wing. Probably took about 30 minutes. When I got back to the wing, I tried to start it. It busted right off. I jumped on and road it home. Before I got home you could feel the motor acting like starvation of fuel, but I made it home.

Is it the ECU causing this problem, and how do you check it to see if it is good? Where can you buy a new one? Saw used on flee-bay but how do you know if they are good? Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Might be a bad gas cap causing a vacuum on the tank.Try loosning the cap and riding it. The manual says to hook up a gauge to test fuel pump pressure,it should only be 2-21/2 pounds, and says it should pump so many oz's of gas in a minutes time. This may not be what your problem is but, it's cheap enough to test.,,

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Tried gas cap, no difference. Use seafoam all the time. Bike runs great when it is running.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hmmm. Hot temps outside, engine heats up, and probs start. Cools down,runs ok. Heats back up, and starts to fail again. I think I'd start by checking the battery/alt. voltages. Wings seem to act the wierdest, when the electrical charging system is starting it's death march. Just my experience. Hope you find it easily. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

New battery beginning this year. Alt keeps battery fully charged. First time in hot weather. Last time temp in high 70's

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I suspect your vacuum operated fuel shutoff valve since you said you already replaced the fuel pump and filter.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

+1 for Rudy!

Man, is it just me or has their been a rash of 1500 petcocks gone bad lately??

Just did mine. Helped but the bike stills smells of gas. More work to check into...

As a diagnostic, just unclamp you petcock from your fuel filter and run it frm the filter output to the carbs by passing the petcock and go for a run.

Don't keep it like that, just to test things out.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK, but would the vacuum shut off keep the fuel pump from flowing during the cranking process?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

scoot scoot wrote:
OK, but would the vacuum shut off keep the fuel pump from flowing during the cranking process?
Only if it's between the pump and where you're checking the flow.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

the correct way to use Sea-Foam:
make sure the gas tank is as empty as possible, pour in one or TWO cans. Better,
Run to move the Sea-Foam into the carbs. let sit over night.
replace Fuel Filter,
if this doesn't help, then rebuild carbs.
the end.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

scoot scoot wrote:
> Yes, the Petcock shuts off the entire fuel flow, so if it's Off then it's Off for Idle and all other operation as well. It might dripple enough though, to fill the carb float bowl after sitting awhile... in which case, it would explain why you were able to start the bike after it sat for awhile.

> Do the bypass... it only takes about 5 minutes

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the pump.
Was the tank full, or below half? High temps and lower fuel level seems to cause it to happen more often. I'd fill up, and problem stopped. Fuel gets hot enough to make pump fail. In hindsight, I noticed the fuel filter didn't have as much gas in it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Has any one bypassed the ecu and wired directly the fuel pump? Not getting fuel in fuel lines when trying to crank.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Oh, and where in the blue blazes is the ecu module?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

OK, You got a no start condition. Right. Can you hear the pump run when key is first turned on to run position. Pump will not run if engine is not running. Check for voltage at black wire connector. The one towards the front under the seat. Pump will only work when engine is running,cranking or two second prime when key is first turned on. Do all the lights on the dash light up when key is first turned to run.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Kill switch to run?

JD

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

All lights light up. Kill switch to run. No fuel is pumped with starter engaged. Have changed pump, filter, and shut off valve. If I could find ecu, I would short circuit wires to see if pump pumps. Pump outside of bike on bench works fine. :baffled:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Does the pump wire get voltage. Black connector towards front. You can run a jumper wire from battery to pump. Not likely a ECU. A faulty Bank Angle Sensor will not allow pump to run.

JD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.