Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1996 1500 A,have owned it for 2 months.I get a strong gas smell from the bike after riding. When I got the bike I changed all the filters, the air filterhad a very strong gas smell. This is my first 1500 but to me it hastates compared to my 1983 1100. ( I know the 1100 is a lot lighter ) Once running it pulls very well. Any Ideas or place to start looking? Thanks For AnyHelp. JIM

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One common cause of gasoline odors from a 1500 is the vacuum fuel shut off that's located right ahead of your fuel tank cap. If the diaphragm pinholes or otherwise leaks you'll smell gasoline. The 1996 shouldn't have any hesitation issues, though they will hesitate or even quit if they're not warmed up sufficiently. It's important to warm the engine at least until the coolant temp gauge gets a needle width or so above the cold position.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Besides the obvious petcock leak to check, next is check for vacuum hoses leaking. That will give you hesitation.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

First thing to check is if your tank is holding a pressure as it is designed to do. When stopping to refuel and removing the cap you will hear and feel the pressure of the fuel vapors releasing. If no pressure check for a drilled or defective fuel cap.

JD

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Another reported culpritis the Gasket between the fuel pump's mounting flange and the tank... It apparently cannot be reused.

My 1990 always smells of gas, despite having no petcock; new tank gasket, new tank cap; and otherwise running fine (eg No vacuum leaks). I suspect the that the carb bowls are leaking out the drain, but have not confirmed that yet.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Also double check the clamps holding the filter. The spring clamps get old and will eventually allow it to leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.