Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New owner of a 1996 Interstate. Bike runs fine in my estimation. The only thing that seems out of order is that there is a noticeable smell of gasoline coming up through the handlebar openings when the engine is cooling off in an enclosed area (garage) Iposted the followingon another wing site. Suggestion was to check for a leaky fuel line. Would like to see what this group thinks.

> Rode just over 1000 miles on mostly secondary roads. Usually 37 mph. Highest was 40. Lowest was 32 when going 70-75 on the Slab. Considering that the first 1/2 of that tank was on secondary roads I fear less than 30 on the slab... Anyway the bike never missed a beat and ran as I would expect.

I was at my folks house midway through and my Dad and I pull the covers to inspect for the gas smell. When pulling the air duct from the front of the air filter case we both noticed that the smell became instantly stronger, which indicated a high probablility (in our minds...!) that the odor was simply coming from the inclosed air filter box. We removed the air filter box and inspected every hose we could see. We ran the engine long enough to get the cooling fans to cycle on and off a few times. We continued to inspect all hoses while the engine was running. We inspected the hoses while the engine was cooling. We did this twice with a cool off in between. We could not find any type of leak. The hoses all visually looked good. While the engine was cooling the strongest gasoline smell came directy from the top(s) of the carbs. We pulled the vacuem line from the auto shutoff valve. The engine eventually stopped from a lack of fuel, indicating that the valve is functioning. We both felt pretty confident that there are least no leaking fuel lines on the bike. We also felt that if there were a leak it would be insignificant and could not be responsible for the smell.

So it would appear that it is down to the carburators themselves. Could they be set too rich and cause excess fuel to be present after the engine is turned off? (MPG is within range of what I have read, so engine is not running rich?) As I had suggested in a different post... whatever residual fuel in the carbs is vaporized by the engine heat rising up to the carbs? (The bike starts fine after sitting for 1-30 minutes, fires right up without suggestion of excess fuel) <

Any thoughts? Looking for some 1500 owners to do a smell test on their bike for me... Let it cool for30 minutes and check for "fuel smell", particularly from the left handlebar opening where the air intake is.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Would it be as simple as a faulty fuel cap? This usuall results in the fumes making their way up towards the open area at the stering head.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I bought a '99 Aspencade in Oct-2004 and have had an unusually nice winter. Consequently, I got far more riding in than I would have expected for Oregon.

I always garage my wing when I'm done and it thus cools off in the enclosed garage. I have noticed that on short rides ( I only live 3 miles from work) and even when I take the long way home, there is no smell in the garage afterward. But, on longer rides of say 50 miles or more, when I put it away, the garage always smells like a gasoline engine was run inside it. Its not exactly a gasoline smell, but rather a combustion smell. Everything has checked out on my bike, so I have assumed it is just the greater excess heat (from the longer ride) smell building up. Unless you have a mechanical problem from "excess fuel", I'd say its probably normal.

As I was about to hit send on this, I thought of something. I'm in the process of changing out a K&N air filter that was put into my bike by the shop I took it to shortly after I purchased it. I discovered last night that they bored a 3/4 inch hole in my air box "cover". I can't prove they did it, but circumstantial evidence I won't go into for now, suggests they did drill the hole. I am now going to epoxy the hole closed. And go back to a paper filter. But I was wondering if smells could come up through the airbox, over the oil "soaked" K&N air filter and be contributing to my smell after longer rides.

I'll try to post a pic with this, but if I can't then you won't see it!

Mike C
Oregon City, OR
1999 Aspencade Candy Spectra Red

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I consider the gas cap ok. There is pressure when removing which I'm told is normal. Thanks for your observations Mike C. The odor is what I would call a combination of gasoline and "engine heat". Not what I would call exhaust/ combustion.

I have never taken a short ride and parked the bike before the engine is fully up to temperature...to see if the same odor occures.

One test I haven't done is to plug the air intake with a rag after getting home to the garage to see if the smell is contained during cool down. (Another way to verify that this is fuel being vaporized by engine heat and dissapating through the air intake) I also wondered about the air filter as I replaced it immediately upon buying the bike. It is not Hondaline, but whatever Chrome world sells... I think it was Emco? Could this brand filter allow backventing that the OEM does not?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I know this is an old posting, but I am curious if you ever found a solution. I have a 92 goldwing, and I have the same problem with smells during cool down. I had the shop rebuild the carbs, just because I had excelleration problems, and hoped that in the process, these cool down smells would go away. I was wondering if you ever found a solution.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

minscoot47 wrote:
I also wondered about the air filter as I replaced it immediately upon buying the bike. It is not Hondaline, but whatever Chrome world sells... I think it was Emco? Could this brand filter allow backventing that the OEM does not?
Just for futher info... I did replace my K&N with an EMCO air filter, and I replaced the air-box top (because I wasn't happy with my hole patching work). Altogether... no more smells, except maybe an occasional hot engine smell on the rare "longer" ride. Most of my in town riding tends to be short distance.

Just my 2cents of data.

Mike C

PS I was able to buy the top for $22 plus $5 shipping from the east coast to Oregon (UPS ground took only 5 days), where as my local stealer wanted $39 and I would have to wait a "few weeks" for it to come in.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Guys...

Let me point you back to the dreaded "Vacuum Petcock" diaphragm leak.

My carbs were rebuilt 5 times to fix the fuel smell.

When you finish your ride, open the fuel filler lid and check in the tray, notice any moisture. The vacuum petcockhas a small weep hole on the bottom, real hard to locate without removing from the bike, one screw holds it to the tray from underneath.

If the diaphragm leaks the smell will only get worse as the leak gets worse.

Don't rebuild your carbs more than once before eliminating this as a possibility.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info. I will check this out. This certainly sounds more feasible than anything else I have heard.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I bought a 1994 1500 with very low mileage which had the carbs "done" by the local dealer. I had the gas smell you describe. It turned out the "mechanic" used the old float chamber gaskets and they both leaked. New ones fixed it.

Harvey

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

You would think dealers would know better. Looks like I have a couple things to check now. I actually took my bike back to the dealer, complained about the odor, but all they seemed to do was check the numbers on the exhaust, and determined that was fine, w/in CAspec. I think I'm going to have to take my bike back to them and complain some more.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Just returned from a 3200 mile trip. I have put about 8000 miles on the bike this season. The odor is still evident. I don't know if the problem is not as severe as originally, or if I'm not as concerned... In any event I have seen postings in other forums by owners with the same issue. Many consider it normal. Others have posted issues with the auto fuel shutoff valve. As I indicated in one of my earlier messages, the valve passed a basic functional test. HoweverI'm a big fan of preventative maintainence.JCWhitney sells a rebuild kitfor the valve for 20 bucks. I may rebuilt it this winter as a PM item. If it solves the smell issue great, if not no loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.