Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to share what I have done for a gear indicator for GL1500.

For the case of the indicator, I used the chrome case of a small car mirror (2 inch in dia), and prepared a sticker showing the numbers in a shop and stuck it on a 2mm plexiglass.

I used the wires going to ECU in the C59 connector to get gear position signals; black/white wire in C57 for positive voltage, and the ground from the connector over dipstick.

As we know, there is not a 1st gear signal on GL1500 (on some models 2nd either). So I prepared a circuit shown below to provide the 1st gear signal. The logic behind this circuit is, if any of the gears N, 2, 3, 4 or 5 is not selected then it will be on the 1st gear. I added a delay of 1.5 sec for the 1st gear led to light up, otherwise it would light up in every gear shift. I used 7809 voltage regulator to provide a stable voltage for the circuit, protected it using a 2A fuse and used a small box to house the control circuit.

I preferred the colors of leds as, red-1, green-N, blue-2, yellow-3,4, green-5, and adjusted their brightness using resistors in different values.

I placed the indicator on the top shelter, in front of the stereo and the control box under the right glove box.

Here are some pictures and circuit diagram of the project.

Note: Q1:BC337(npn); D1:5.6v zener; C:220uf; N,D2-5:1N4007; R0:10K; U:7809; R1-R6:675-5K ohm

Attachments

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,264 Posts
Awesome job Erdeniz,
I had sometimes thought "maybe I would do something like that", but just never settled down long enough to think it thru.

You just earned 5 Gold Stars and a Bookmark!!!

And, you got a Sticky that will last a while so folks have a chance to see this.

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome job Erdeniz,
I had sometimes thought "maybe I would do something like that", but just never settled down long enough to think it thru.

You just earned 5 Gold Stars and a Bookmark!!!

And, you got a Sticky that will last a while so folks have a chance to see this.
Thank you John.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have a suggestion.
Erd just posted this yesterday and when I got on the forum this morning, I was expecting it to have some replies to read but I didn't see his thread anywhere towards the top of the thread list. Hmmm. I went ahead and read the new replies to the other threads in this section then just happened to notice that it was stickied. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really pay attention to the stickies much because they're usually threads that have been around for a while and I've already read and just use for reference.
This thread might get the more views it deserves if left as a normal thread for a bit.
Just an idea.

·
Administrator
59,264 Posts
I only use the "new posts" button so it don't matter where they are.

·
Administrator
59,264 Posts
Thread unstuck..... let's get some comments on what we have here.
I like it :)

·
Administrator
59,264 Posts
Understandable but there has to be more out there than me that don't use the "new posts" because they don't want to see half a page of new posts in the stickies in the Fun Forum.
What??
you don't like to see the funnies in the New Posts?

that gives me an idea, I will ask the IT Team to create a special New Posts that excludes the Fun Forum..... back when I know something on that.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
A good idea I suppose. :) The 1500 has a 5th gear indicator and I still have caught myself riding 50 miles down the highway in 4th gear at times. :frown2: :wink2:

Reactions: Erdeniz Umman

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A good idea I suppose. :) The 1500 has a 5th gear indicator and I still have caught myself riding 50 miles down the highway in 4th gear at times. :frown2: :wink2:
It is good especially when you dont want to shift down to 1st gear suddenly while slowing down. And good to know whether you are at 3rd or 4th gear on a curvy road.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
First class job...really well done. I'm sure if it was "plug and play" you would sell loads of them. I would want one. It seems even better than the factory gear indicators on many new bikes. A friend just brought a Kawasaki Versys and the gear indicator goes to a blank screen when the clutch is pulled in so you can't see whether you are in first gear when stopped (I expect we've all pulled off in second gear by mistake at times!).

Reactions: Erdeniz Umman

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First class job...really well done. I'm sure if it was "plug and play" you would sell loads of them. I would want one. It seems even better than the factory gear indicators on many new bikes. A friend just brought a Kawasaki Versys and the gear indicator goes to a blank screen when the clutch is pulled in so you can't see whether you are in first gear when stopped (I expect we've all pulled off in second gear by mistake at times!).
Thank you for the complements.
Actually it can be easily made "plug and play", but I hadn't intended to sell something, marketing is an other area that I haven't been in before, but the cost of it is so low that it would be a quite profitable business, I believe.

·
Administrator
59,264 Posts
Just yesterday with my mind on the wife's problems in the hospital... I got caught up in thick and slow traffic, staying alive more important than getting the shifter down a few notches.

Left Turn signal goes green and the expected surge is not there.
aha! the 5th gear yellow light is still burning :frown2:

no matter, the mighty 1800 just grunted a bit, the throttle opened up a bit, the shifter went to 4th and off we went..... mind you, this is on a left hand turn into a very narrow up ramp, so traffic is not honking at me to "get the hell out of the way"..... once I got straightened up on that 'on ramp', I down shifted to 3rd and from 20 mph we took off smartly.

so, yes, we all do it.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Great job Enderniz:
I've been out here for a few days and just see this thread; it's 1st in my list of things to do!:claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
PM sent.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts