Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice Job

Out here in the Texas panhandle I often forget which gear I am in. You can only imagine how messed up I get when I am in really beautiful country. I may try your writeup and attempt to build one even though I am no electrician.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
hello, do you have an schematic diagram??
I have given circuit diagram in the first post. The components and the traces are given together as on the real circuit board.

Ok, here are three more pictures. Assume the buttons B2-B6 shown in the schematic as gear inputs, they were shown like that for design purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Here are some updates about the Gear Indicator. There is no big difference but small updates.

1. Two more LEDs have been added to the indicator to illuminate the two rows of writing on the plexiglass.
2. The resistors in the display unit have been realigned to save space.
3. The ground has been taken from the green wire at the C57 connector like the positive voltage taken from the black/white wire at the same connector. As you may remember, I had taken it from the connector over the dipstick previously. Now 7 wires (2 from C57 and 5 from C59) are going together to the control unit.

Here are some pictures about the update.

Note that the control unit can be seen in the last picture, and next to that is the relay I have added to ignition circuit to solve "start after releasing button" syndrome.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/611705-gl1500-starts-after-releasing-button-solved.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Chrustmas Gift

As I'm sure many others will agree------- your gift is very much appreciated!!! THANKS!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I applaud anyone making stuff ..... First Class Job.

For anyone needing one who doesn't want to or can't see making one, I ought one of these in 2004 and it's been flawless. I did rewire the volt meter side through a accy controlled relay to battery to get a better voltage reading. It dims at night, brightens in day. Mine does not have the alarm feature?
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_gear___volt_indicator/129/40958

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I was simply trying to get around the I dont sell them clause
Maybe I dont want to learn to fish! doesnt mean Im not hungry~
You could hire someone to fish for for you.

It would seem that Mr. Umman has given you a map to the best fishing holes.:?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have also prepared a digital gear indicator, for whom are interested in.

Although I have tested the circuit on pc program you may need to change the capacitor and zener diode on your real circuit.

Red line you see on the diagram will be on the top surface of the pcb, you may simply use two wires to connect those pins.

Circuit includes the control unit that produces 1st gear signal, U1 encodes the gear input signals and U2 decodes them and sends to display.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh WOW, I'd love to have a way to display what gear I'm in. Wonderful job with these. It would be interesting to see if the display can be found small enough to fit where the "OD" indicator sits, and just locate the PCB behind the dash

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
PHP:
Oh WOW, I'd love to have a way to display what gear I'm in. Wonderful job with these. It would be interesting to see if the display can be found small enough to fit where the "OD" indicator sits, and just locate the PCB behind the dash
If you use a mini size (7-8mm=0.28-0.3") LED display, it will fit into the place next to the Cruise On light, which is already empty and sometimes used for a digital voltmeter display by some people.

The pcb is in the length of a toothpick, which can easily fit behind the dash.

And an example for the LED in different sizes is given below.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that info. Thinking about putting a volt meter in that spot, since I need to replace some dash lights anyway. Now, if I can disassemble the dash without destroying it, I was thinking of putting this in the OD spot. I have to admit though, I like the concept of this display (
) and it's features, however, I would be happy of the just gear indicator could just be added to the current display.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts