Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone.

I have had my 1994se for18 months now and covered about 5000 miles on it, its total mileage is 37000. Twice in that time under reasonably hard acceleration it has dropped out of 4th gear, causing the revs to enter the red, and once it has, at very slow speed, dropped out of 2nd into neutral immediately after going from1st to 2nd.

Can anyone tell me if there is something serious happening or about to happen and what I should do about it.

Many thanks, Martin.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If you are making sure and positive shifts, and it is a chronic situation, and it starts happening often, you have some worn shift dogs on the gear the the fork slides and locks into the main stationary drive gear. You have a gear that has 4 nubs(dogs) that mate to the locked shaft gear, when they get worn, they sometimes start slipping out of position.

Might be that, hard to tell till it becomes a frequent thing. Most of the time it is just when you fail to make a positive shift and it slips out of gear once in awhile.

Kit

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hello Kit, thanks for your reply, hopefully I'm just not engaging positively enough, only time will tell I suppose. Many thanks Martin

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

G15WNG wrote:
Hello Kit, thanks for your reply, hopefully I'm just not engaging positively enough, only time will tell I suppose. Many thanks Martin
If you are using running boards and heel/toe shifter, make sure you don't touch the shifter with your shoes when running.
I have had to pay attention to that when touring and doing longish runs. It will scare the carp out of you when it happens. That's for sure.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

siataukreg wrote:
I do all the upshifts from second without the clutch try it
Idont know about that:baffled:unless you have crash gears which are designed to enable you to get the bike home in the event of a clutch failure, I'm pretty sure the clutch is there for a reason but I have been told tou need to be firm when putting it into gear.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

what kind of oil do you have in it?...that would be a place to start ....mine just did that when i got on it hard... but it was still cold...went into the red and i was shocked...i prayed nothing got ground up...it was ok and just a fluke...1st and only time its ever done that....but i could probably make it do it again if i did the same again..p.s. i use golden spectro4 20-50...in california

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hello, Morris engine oil is all I know cos' its dealer serviced. I think everything should be ok with the mechanics of it though, maybe i wasn't positive when enoughchanging gear. The bike is put away for winter now so I won't be able to try again for a few months. All the best, Martin

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Mine kicks out every once in a while. Mine did it with 24k when I got it, and now I have 43k.

Just make sure you do a firm positiveshift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.