Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was messing with my GL1500 Trike's lights today, installed a oval 4 LED light above the trunk, below the top box, and found it very bright, brighter than expected, so I rewired it to come on with the brake lights, it is a light just like the amber fender lights that face front. Well, that went smoothly but in checking it's operation, I found suddenly that the left & right fender mount (were saddle bag mounted OEM as bike) tail lights and the center "tag" light didn't work. The top trunk mounted tail lights and all other lights were fine, just those two tail lights and tag light?

First, I thought "ground", but the fender mounted brake lights worked, so ground was OK.
Then I thought maybe a bad connection when the kit was installed & these wires extended (along with lower brake light leads), but that was in 1998? Been some bumpy roads.
Then I thought of "bulbs" bad, but what are the odds?
Then I resorted to wire schematics after trying to wiggle wires.

In the process … I turned the key on / off several times.

I did find the tag light bulb black, so I replaced it. I was going to resort to jacking the trike and pulling the rear wheels to get to the tail light bulbs when suddenly, the tail lights were "on" … then I put the seat on and they don't come on after next cycling of the key.

Dang it!

I looked close at the schematics, I find that the two OEM saddlebag tail lights, the tag light, are on a brown lead to a terminal on the ignition switch, in only the "on" position, contact is made to a brown/white wire that leads to splice to a brown/blue wire that leads to Relay 3 which connects it to a white/yellow wire to 15a fuse #8 where it gets power. That relay 3 is tripped by a black wire that goes back to the ignition switch where it gets connected to red main power lead in the "on" position ? Strange thing in my mind is all the other illumination, instrument, marker lights are fed by that brown/white color wiring which is also fed by a harness connection to that blue/brown wire from relay 3.

Wondered why those three lights rate a special place in the ignition switch? The brown wire does not get connected to the red wire at the switch, but the switch does connect the brown wire for those three bulbs to the brown/white wired general tail light circuit.

Anyway, my eyes are tired. A few more cycles of the ignition switch, the lower tail lights are working. Hoping it just needed "exercise", but might need a switch? I know that it's not a relay or fuse issue now, nor wiring.

I am pleased with my additional brake light.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
You might try turning the switch to the park position to see if they work normally, that bypasses some of that circuit and is a different terminal on the switch. There are a couple of connectors between the ignition switch and those lights, C58 & C10, might check those.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
786 Posts
Wonder why those three lights rate a special place in the ignition switch? The brown wire does not get connected to the red wire at the switch, but the switch does connect the brown wire for those three bulbs to the brown/white wired general tail light circuit.
It's done that way so those three lights can be lit in "Park" position without lighting all the rest of the running lights. Park position is same as Accessory position, you can play your stereo, but have these three tail lights added... All other running lights are on separate circuit from either Accessory or Park. So in the "On" position, they have their own circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You might try turning the switch to the park position to see if they work normally, that bypasses some of that circuit and is a different terminal on the switch. There are a couple of connectors between the ignition switch and those lights, C58 & C10, might check those.
I will do that.
It's done that way so those three lights can be lit in "Park" position without lighting all the rest of the running lights. Park position is same as Accessory position, you can play your stereo, but have these three tail lights added... All other running lights are on separate circuit from either Accessory or Park. So in the "On" position, they have their own circuit.

OK, I got it ... in the Park position, a connection from the red power supply to the ignition switch is made to a light green/black wire that goes to 5A accessory fuse #1 & 10A accessory #10 (#1 is for just the acc screw terminal connections & #10 is to hazard relay, LCD Acc+, and a couple illumination bulbs & at C107 connects to speed sensor) and it connects to a yellow/black wire that goes to 10A park fuse #7 where it "comes out" as a light green/yellow wire to a "parking diode" (a clue I missed) which then feeds into the back end of the brown wire that connects those three bulbs (left and right saddle bag tail & license light).

I read both y'all's replies, took a look, funny, it jumped out at me then. Makes sense now.
Thanks! I Guess I was just getting tired last night? Mowed yesterday too.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm thinking my issue is in that connector C10 … or maybe extensions to three leads when the bike was made a trike? I had my hand under there trying to grab the new wires from new LED brake light I added.

I recall that simple twist & tape wrap I found with the BAS lead ... & … all those blue scotch lock connectors I eliminated those years ago too?

As you can see, I edited this post big time. "Silly me" thought PARK was past ACCESSORY & ON, all the way to right and I thought the EZ-Steer eliminated the lock function. Went down and tried again after seeing a Honda "switch" schematic in the ETM showed PARK and LOCK both all the way to the left, below OFF ... with the fork turned to a full lock, but Lock let's you remove the key while Park lights some lights but no removing the key.

It works … ;) … and those three light bulbs light up on Park, and the fork Lock even works.

Tells me C58 and ignition switch is fine.

Again, Thank you for letting me bounce thoughts. :)

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
That shouldn't matter, that is external to the switch. Perhaps some lubrication.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tonight … 04202020 ... I removed the seat again determined to find issue. Found C10 in it's plastic weather box, right where it was supposed to be. Was gonna move the travel trunk and untape the wires from there back ...
... BUT first I set up a mirror where I could see the lower tail & tag lights while working the key in the switch. I found that a certain angle of slight pull caused them to come on, let go they went off. I took a spray can of CRC Electronic Cleaner Spray with red tube attached & inserted it into the switch and I doused it good. Now the lights work every time. I can pull & wiggle the key in the switch, no blink.

FIXED!(y) and I'm so glad.

Seat sure is getting easy to get on & off the trike.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts