Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When starting my GL1500 from cold in the morning, I usually keep the choke on for a few minutes untill the engine temperature needle moves, and then I allow it to idle without choke untill near operating temperature. Whilst heating up I rev the engine to around 2000 revs. Normally I have never experienced any problems with this. On the last two occasions, whilst reving the bike on the side stand, I have experienced what can only be described as an intermmitant grating noise, almost likea motor impeller hitting a cowling. This only occurs occasionally, and never on the centre stand. There are no problems whilst running the bike normally.

The only thing I can think of as likely to be the cause, is possibly slackness of the cam belts, however I think I would have noticed additional problems if that were the case, and also I imagine the belts would have to be really slack.

I sometimes find that when running on choke, the rear wheel turns when revs are at around 2000 revs in neutral, untill I hold the clutch in for a few seconds. The clutch plates areobviously sticking initially. Could this possibly be the problem? ie: clutch not fully releasing when in neutral and clicking / grinding when revs are applied.

The fan motors are not running at this time.

Once again I request the infinite technical knowledge of the board. Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Joe, I had a clutch go like this on my gl1500 a few years ago. It used to give a very brief rough sound intermittently while I was riding it and would jump as well. It turned out to be the clutch basket was cracked. Sometimes it would do this while idling as well and sounded like something was about to break. I don't think the timing belt pulleys would make this noise, they tend to squeal and rumble when worn.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

If the noise goes away or changes when you pull the clutch lever, then the noise is most likely coming from the clutch area.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

As I mentioned this has only happened on a couple of brief occassions, and only on the side stand. I don,t like the sound of a damaged clutch, although it is obviously a rotating part that is grinding. Why only on the sidestand though, and touch wood I have hadno adverse symtoms when riding the bike

Joe

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Clutches can give odd noises on motorcycles. A GL1200 I had once used to give a snatching sound and also a little jump (like a dead cylinder) for a half second, but only when warmed up and going round bends. I thought the crankshaft was breaking, but it was just a clutch basket problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.