Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i took my1988 gl 1500 to a reputable motorcycle garage today i saw the electrician ,he tested everything and we were there for about 2 hours all because i touched frame with spanner undoing the positive on my batterie ,he said the most it should have done is blown the main fuse but thats good as new,so he started stripping the harness tape off to see if any wires were burnt and nothing he worked from relay box right round to ecu box in front of the tank alls well there ,he was pulling more harness tape off while the bike was hot wired as it wont start normaly and he pulled a wire and it sounded like the start button had been pressed a kind of wurring noise from the front end somewere ,so as it was free inspection we couldnt go any further, the problem could be in the wireing up the front of bike so ile be taking out the right fan to check all the wires and connections there incase one is burnt out as some of those wires are to do with ignition so ile be buissy taking off the front end lolalso some ignition wireing goes through the radio cassette harness lol he said its a broken wire somewere up there due to the load put through it wen i shorted it .

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

and did he check the 30amp fuse in the rear of the starter relay

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yes m8 thats fine too he thinks there is a break in wire up the front end which makes sence as i heard a fizz noise from there wen i touched the bike frame with the spanner i just have to get to the wires and see if i can find it ,probably a green wire gone somewere lol

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Here's an old Jaguar trick...
Pull the fuse and replace it with a circuit breaker. If you can't find one of the right size, you may have to make one up with a cheapee turn signal flasher. Now park the bike facing north and south. :?
This is sounding like one of those ooga booga things, but it works.
Get a dime store compass and follow along the wires. When the circuit is energized, the compass needle will point at the wire. When the breaker trips it will point north. off on off on as it trips. When you reach the break, the needle will no longer point to the wire. Jag owners don't want you to unwrap their wires unless you have to. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Here's an old Jaguar trick...
Pull the fuse and replace it with a circuit breaker. If you can't find one of the right size, you may have to make one up with a cheapee turn signal flasher. Now park the bike facing north and south. :?
This is sounding like one of those ooga booga things, but it works.
Get a dime store compass and follow along the wires. When the circuit is energized, the compass needle will point at the wire. When the breaker trips it will point north. off on off on as it trips. When you reach the break, the needle will no longer point to the wire. Jag owners don't want you to unwrap their wires unless you have to. :)
Thanx for that reminder.

I knew of it, but it fell into disuse from not needing it for a few decades.

A super slick way to debug a shorted wire in a harness.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i have an army compass ile give it a go never heard of this technique before awesome ile be pulling of the panels today to give it a go cheers

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ok i have found in the glove box bit were the carb control unit is i found a white block of connectors 24 pin i think it is anyway in the centre of them is a large green earth cable and the spade ends are badly burnt so i need to trace that wire to both ends i guess . one end goes up in the instrument panel area and that cable looks burnt from that side of the plug . the cable the other side looks ok but were that plug is is were i heard the fizz noise wen i shorted bike ,i jumped a wire from either side of plug and it makes no difference :hoppingmad:

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

The only thing you goof could mess up would be a ground (earth) connection and if all was well that would only be the main battery ground. If there are other wires connected to the battery negative post or to where the negative cable connects to the frame, check those. Let that be a lesson, always disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Viking did you fix the old girl?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.