Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I got a wild hare to adjust my handlebars to see if I could find a riding position that did not bug the arthritis in my right wrist.

I marked the bars for their original position and go to loosen one of the bottom bolts...... and it is all ready loose. Not even finger tight, same with the other lower bolt....top two were tight.

Kind of a shocker, so here is a friendly reminder. Get to know your ride, and maybe check them handle bar bolts on your aging machine.

Anybody know the right torque spec on them bolts by the way?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Should be 18ft-lb (25N-m) WET (that is: apply light grease or anti-sieze to the bolt threads and collars -- bolts, top of the tree, and the clamps are dissimilar metals; the lube will help protect against galling and corrosion-welding of the parts)

When tightening:
* Clamps should have a punch-mark -- that goes FORWARD

* Tighten the the forward-most bolts first

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the help satan! If I only had a nickle for everytime I've said that :badgrin:.

I will get a little anti-seize on them when I go to torque them down.

I tell ya what, that sent a shiver up my spine when I put the wrench to those bolts and they just spun. Seems like this cat still has a few lives left.

And by the way, I moved the bars down about two notches. Not far at all really and it made of world of differnce for this vertically challenged, and slightly ageing riders comfort. Just got back from about 180 miles of test driving and my wrist back and shoulders feel good.

By tipping the bars just slightly back at me it feels quite a bit more nimble at slow speeds. On the highway it kept my shoulders down and my back and neck are liking it.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

ThirdCoaster414 wrote:
By tipping the bars just slightly back at me it feels quite a bit more nimble at slow speeds. On the highway it kept my shoulders down and my back and neck are liking it.
:applause: Best news! Glad you're getting a safe and comfy ride (kinda what the wing should offer, eh?)

I generally set bar on touring bike so that the rider's forearm is parallel with the road when he's in the "rider's slouch" and shoulders are fully drooped... the ability to work the bars lock-to-lock for safe and fun slow-speed manuvering is often quite a change from how many folks have their bars set.

Great news that you're able to enjoy your ride -- Let's plan on many moregood miles!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.