Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two of the five light bulbs in my handlebar grips were burned out. As part of my quest to replace every light bulb on my bike with an LED, I pulled the grips apart and put blue LEDs in to replace the light bulbs in there. The light bulbs are absolutely tiny:

I'm quite pleased with the result:

It looks a bit brighter in the picture than they actually are, because of the exposure I used - I wanted to make sure you could tell in the picture that they were lit up. They actually appear just about the same as the original light bulbs.

I of course took pictures and wrote up the process for anyone who might want to do the same: How to replace your handlebar control lights with LEDs

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It's definitely a bit fiddly...there is a lot of wires and connectors and stuff all crammed in there, and if you get things routed wrong, you can bind up the operation of switches. I ended up going back to the pictures I had taken during disassembly in order to route the wires correctly during reassembly, to get it all correct.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Nice job GS

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Geez....I learnt something...did not know mine lighted up. I checked the parts fiche and it shows bulbs in mine. So I guess I will be doing this mod soon to mine.

Thanks for post ing the info.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

G'morning guys...

What years and models of the 1500's had the lighted controls?

Great job there BTW.

Tim.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Don`t quote me on this But I do believe its 92-2000 Se`s only If Im wrong someone will be along to se me straight shortly !

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

No bulbs on the Interstate switches

!990-1993 SE & Aspencade has the bulbs.

1994-2000 bulbs in switches only on SE

(above edited from this morning)
Sorry for the earlier incorrect info. Now corrected see my next post below.:lash:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Well, I have a 91 Aspencade so I guess all my bulbs are burnt out. It looks like I will be doing some exploratory surgery sometime after I do my motor transplant.

My list is getting longer and longer. hahahaha

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Well, I have a 91 Aspencade so I guess all my bulbs are burnt out. It looks like I will be doing some exploratory surgery sometime after I do my motor transplant.

My list is getting longer and longer. hahahaha

Tim.
I suspect the bulbs don't live that long, as two out of my five were burned out, and mine is a 2000SE. The LEDs should fix that.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I did a similarexchange with the light bulbs on my radio. Those bulbs are hard to find and a 5mmLED fit perfectly..don't forget the resistor!!:grin:

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I don`t believe the Aspencades came with the lighted handlebar control lights. At least my `91 Aspencade never had them. Only the latter S.E.s
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean thanks ever so much for this write up. My stock bulbs have indeed gradually burned out over the years.

I did see your comment about the photos making the leds look brighter than they actually are, but just one question: have you tried them in the dark and are they not too bright in those conditions?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

nico wrote:
GSMacLean thanks ever so much for this write up. My stock bulbs have indeed gradually burned out over the years.

I did see your comment about the photos making the leds look brighter than they actually are, but just one question: have you tried them in the dark and are they not too bright in those conditions?
Yeah, what I did was do the right one first, then I turned the lights out and looked at the right one (with LEDs) and the left one (with original bulbs) and they looked pretty much the same brightness to me - the LED's are a slight more bluish in color, but hardly noticeable.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Well I checked this morning on the parts fiche and checked only 88-92 and the A/SE are both the same. Did this before heading to church.
After further looking in the later years 94-2000 Honda put a different switch on the Aspencade which have no lights, so my bad for not checking the later fiches. I'm sorry for posting earlier and gave wrong info.

1990 shows the switch as handlebar switch except I (Interstate)

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=149488&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1990&fveh=3486

1991, 1992 & 1993 shows handlebar switch A/SE are the same (all except Interstate)

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=147277&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1992&fveh=3456

1994-2000 Aspencade has no lights in the switch

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=147459&
category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1994&fveh=3458

Edited
1990-1998 SE has lights in all handlebar switches
1999-2000 SE No Lights in right handlebar switch

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1999&fveh=3495

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
newday777 wrote:
Edited
1990-1998 SE has lights in all handlebar switches
1999-2000 SE No Lights in right handlebar switch

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150300&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1999&fveh=3495
That diagram shows items 6 and 19 being bulbs. Both left and right.
#19 shows 1 bulb only. That is in the CB switch, not the right switch. # 6 shows 2 bulbs only, in the left side swich. The right switch # 4, shows no bulbs in a breakdown on the 99-2000 as in the pre 99 switches on the fiches, that is why I stated that. :?

I just got back from an evening ride and my 99 has them on the right switch also.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.