Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1994 GL1500 Asp and being 6' tall I would like to move the handlebars up about 1 inch and back about 1-2 inches. I have already tried turning them down a little which helped a little but still not great for all day rides. Seems to pull at my shoulders and if I lean froward a little then the lower back starts to ache. I am hoping to be able to sit more upright. Can anyone help with how to move these handlebars to a more comfortable position.

Gimpy

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As far as I know there are no riser kits on the market for the GL1500. I am not aware of any.

You could however give this company a call and change out the bars. I did this with my Yamaha Venture and it made all the difference in the world. I would for sure call and ask if and what the difference is from stock to see if it would be suitable for what you want to accomplish.

Well the link will not cooperate. So do a search for Flanders Bars for the GL1500.

Kit

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi gimpy as kit said i havent seen any risers listed anywere for the 1500 i can only asume that because of all the cables and electrics going to the bars that they wont stretch far enough not as simple as a normal bike

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

J.C. whitney or Cyclemax can help you. you should have enough slack to run risers but how much extra cable & wire is the big question. I think you would be safe with 2 inch, Mabey 4 inch but take a look at your wing before ordering!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

On the 1500, risers would not fit under the cover, so longer bars are the only alternative. You only have about 1 inch of clearence under the key cover, which would not make enough difference, since it would only give you less than 1/2 inch of riser space. Getting different 7/8 inch bars should not be a problem, getting enough slack in the cables and wiring might, but if you took off the fairing, you might be able to reposition the cables and wire enough for some 2 or 3 inch longer bars.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, but what if you went another route, by changing your seat in order to move you moreforward :baffled:

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I am not familiar with the 1500 but I put GenMar X102B universal riser setbackson my '83 GL1100A. The universals were 32mm centers, 1"high and 1-3/8"back. I had to cope the keypad and reroute cables to make it work. There is an extensive Q&A section on their site that may give you some insight. dj
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you to all of your advice. It looks like Flanders is about 30 miles from where I live so that looks like a good option. I will have to see how much extra reach I can acquire with the wires, cables & hoses.
Now it is time to work on the truck and van then take the front forks off the wing to have them rebuilt.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Please post back if you find a solution. I'm having the same issue on long rides. I'll bet there are a few that would like to know.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Here is what I did for my GL1200 when I couldn't find risers. I made them! Went to the local welding shop, had them fabricate out of aluminum bar stock. I had planned ontrimmingthe excess off, but haven't gotten aorund to it. I did have to loose the plastic cover, no big deal in my opinion.

Marty

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.