Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I will try my best to explain without writing a book.

I searched and found simular problems but not exactly like my problem. When I go to start my 1988 GL1500 in the morning or after a day or so of sitting it wont start. I put the key in, switch it on, choke it, hit the starter switch and I hear the starter enguage and then umph! the whole system locks up. I then try again and the same thing. I can say that the solenoid is working and the Batter is charged and showing 12.6 - 13.2 volts. If I keep bumping the switch it might finally crank up...maybe. I have noticed that the wiring to the solenoid will get hot if I try too many times. Also the starter motor does NOT spin freely during this. In other words the starter cluch is working properly as far as I can tell. It is almost like compression is stopping the engine from turning over. I am not sure but maybe the starter is weak. However.. After I finally get it started I can turn it off and then after the problem start I can crank the bike all day long with a fast strong assertive start without problems. It is just the initial start sequence that is trouble. Weird.

Ask me questions, I will try to answer with my limited abilities.

:shock:Thanks,

Roger

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
imported post

If, you left it parked on the side stand.....
There is a possiblity that a carb leaked fuel into the lower cylinders. Prove this right or wrong by pulling plugs from the lower bank and hit the start button. Fuel sprays out, yes. No fuel, then fuel lock on compression is not the problem.

Next, I would take a voltmeter. Even do this first....

Measure the voltage at the starter terminal while cranking with the throttle wide open. should be a minimum of 10.5, more is better. this is a test of how much voltage loss there is between the battery terminals and the starter terminal.

If the volts are way low, then move the voltmeter prod to the starter solenoid and measure on each side of it. how much voltage drop across the solenoid? Tiny bit? it is ok. A lot? it is bad.

Divide the wiring into sections and measure the voltage at each point. that way you can divide your problem into smaller chunks.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

let it sit for the duration you describe and pull the plugs out the next time you try to start it and see if fuel spurts out...if it does your carbs need cleaning or need to come out to be gone over...do not try this again or you could bend a rod if you haven't already....provided the starter is working ok....and it will get hot trying to overcome the hydlolic lock
P.S.....after you clear the cylinders that is why it has no more issues for the day

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Starters can get to a point were they draw too many amps(brushes worn down,inner bushings need greased) also causing the starter solinoid to get warm drawing alot of amps through it. Causing a lock-up or non-movement within. Once warmed up seem to work better. Almost like grease inside starts to melt and run into the areas that need more lubrication.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

mzandmywing wrote:
Starters can get to a point were they draw too many amps(brushes worn down,inner bushings need greased) also causing the starter solinoid to get warm drawing alot of amps through it. Causing a lock-up or non-movement within. Once warmed up seem to work better. Almost like grease inside starts to melt and run into the areas that need more lubrication.
+1....:cooler:

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks, I will add this to my list of checks. I wont be able to mess with it until at least Weds. so It will have plenty of time to set, LOL. You guys are why I love this site so much. Great information shared freely! Thanks!

If you have other ideas I will accept them and add them to my list.

Roger

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,380 Posts
imported post

I may be mistaken...... someone can correct me if I am. Isn't it true a cold engine will have greater compression than it does after it has been running? I think the starter is getting boarderline on strength. After you run your bike the starter can spin it ok....... just the first cold start gives if fits. Fuel leaking by is a very strong possibility, resulting in a hydrolock. But you should also notice diminished fuel level on your tank guage, and/or evidence of fuel in the crankcase oil. How long has the starter been in service......... a good lube, cleaning, and brushes may be in order.

Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

What weight engine oil are you using? If you are using 20W50 and your starter is a bit on the weak side you would have trouble spinning the motor from cold as the oil is thicker then.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I am using Chevron Delo 400SAE 15w-40. I have had the Delo 400 in there forever and never had a problem. Actually made the transmission whine less. If that is the problem I guess I would go back to a lighter weight.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

As far as compression goes, You should get more compression on a Hot engine,Two reasons. 1st-cold engine doesn't have alot of oil residue coating. 2nd. Hot engine is going to have a tighter fit as metal exspands and been run will have oil residue lining the cylinder walls

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hmmm, another good point. Im leaning towards fuel leaking into cylender or even better a worn out starter. I think I will just start with checking for fuel first and then work my way down the list. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

its gas, hydrolocking, gonna have to rebuild fuel shutoff valve. like said tho, keep starting it like that , could bend a valve.not to mention toasting the starter

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Years ago (late '70s) a friend had a Suzuki MC with a kick start. On the handlebars there was a small lever like the clutch/brake levers we have. Its' sole purposewas to release compression on the cylinders to allow it to be kicked over easier, therefore making it easier to start. If it were hydrolocking, either you would have to take the plugs out or have another way to clear the fluid from the cylinders. Air is subject to being compressed, fluid however cannot be compressed. I feel that it is somthing to do with the starter motor. Just my $ 0.02 worth.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Quick update. Since I wrote last I checked some things and found nothing that indicates a problem and as weird as it came it has gone. I have had no problems starting the bike over the last 6 days. It starts strong and without incident. As long as it is working I aint messin with it. Thansk for all your help and I will keep you posted if something bad happens.

Roger

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.