Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to you all.:bow:

I have just installed the new front headlight unit that I have received from cycle max.

The whole front of the bike looks great as the new unit is much better that the original. But now the adjuster on the dash will not work and there’s a screw adjustment under the new headlight that help get the alignment correct.

Can anyone tell me if I place the bike a certain distance from a wall how far will the head light need to be from that wall and how high do I need to be from the ground up the wall to adjust the height position of the head light, as it too low at the moment and when I place the high beam on it only aluminates 2 metres in front of me.

Any help or suggestion .

Many thanks

tugwilson :cheesygrin:

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

While this was written for an 1800, it gives you the correct distances, marks on the wall and where to aim the high beams:
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE

Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys,
thats great. I will keep this information on file...
very much appreicated the help

have a great weekend.
tugwilson

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Is the adjuster malfunctioning or is it the new headlight design?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hi goldwinger
no the adjuster doesnt work on the new headlight model.
I saw a screw function on the under side of the head light so I will adjust it there.
many thanks
tugwilson

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I installed the same headlight from Cyclemax. The headlight knob works as expected but turns so freely that it seems disconnected on my 88.

The new headlight is a huge improvement over the original.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

If your dash knob headlight adjuster is still not working you may have to remove the head light and re-seat it.

I made this mistake twice now. (double-duah)

I found you need to turn the dash knob all the way counter-clockwise before seating the head light housing.
Once installed you readjust the knob.

Hope this help't. :cool:

:action:LIGHT ON

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I can get just the headlight from OEM parts(cyclecentralpowersports.com) a lot cheaper than Cyclemax wants for their kit or just the headlight by itself. Will my existing wiring harness work if i just replace the headlight unit. or was there something that my old position light sockets won't fit in the new unit? OR????
Cyclemax did say if i want to use a different H-4 bulb other than the Honda bulb that comes in the unit, then i need the $12 adaptors that changes the bulb mounting.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

Found the old thread that says i would need the short wiring for the new type turn signals if i wanted to change them , otherwise it is supposed to fit.
For 1998-2000> 1998 GL 1500 parts diagram is the only one that lists the whole assy with wiring harness 33100-MAM-A80 for $201.18. and without harness 33120-MAM-A82 is $189.72.
I would still need the mounting adaptors for the Silverstar bulbs.
Hopefully, the new unit is better at the high/low difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.