Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a low beam go out on me the other day. I called all the local auto parts stores and no one had an H4 12V 60/55W bulb.
The local Honda shop has them for $31! I said "NO THANKS, I will order it for $7!!"
I was in Harbor Freight today to get a paint sprayer, and I stumbled on to this 12V 55/60 Watt bulb for $5.99. It works perfectly!
I am just passing the info for those that didn't know. :)

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
imported post

They work very well. I have them in my 1500 and for $5.99 you can't go wrong. I can really see the road at night now.

Carl

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I need to figure out what bulbs I have in my 2000. They are much brighter than any other 1500 I've ridden with, but they came in the bike when I bought it with less than 9000 miles, so I'm not sure if they were put in by the dealer or what. I like how bright they are. I wonder how these bulbs would compare?

John

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

you and me both John.

My '98 is pretty good, but not as good as the Sylvania Super white ones I had in the '94. I think I will pick up a set of the HF bulbs and toss them in the trunk. A spare in the bike sure beats running w/o headlights.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Nice. Gonna pick some of those up. I was going to ask if you needed the shims but then saw the second part of your post. :cheesygrin: I'm glad I put in the higher power headlight modulator on my bike that can handle these bulbs.

Cyclemax's site says the shims are only needed for the '98-2000, so many of you guys might not need them.

John

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
Nice. Gonna pick some of those up. I was going to ask if you needed the shims but then saw the second part of your post. :cheesygrin: I'm glad I put in the higher power headlight modulator on my bike that can handle these bulbs.

Cyclemax's site says the shims are only needed for the '98-2000, so many of you guys might not need them.

John
This is what they look like:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Very nice! I wonder if I can make them work in my lower driving lights too. :badgrin:

John

·
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Very nice! I wonder if I can make them work in my lower driving lights too. :badgrin:

John
I put the H1 100W in my lower but realized that my alternator could not handle it. So I replaced them with 55W, which works fine. I think the ultimate solution for the lowersis a H4 bulb wired to do both low and high beam with a relay and a switch to turn them off completely. I will alsoget a relay to shut off my upperlow beams. This setup will give you 400W of lights going forward at night and only 180/0W during daylight hours.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:

John
I put the H1 100W in my lower but realized that my alternator could not handle it. So I replaced them with 55W, which works fine. I think the ultimate solution for the lowersis a H4 bulb wired to do both low and high beam with a relay and a switch to turn them off completely. I will alsoget a relay to shut off my upperlow beams. This setup will give you 400W of lights going forward at night and only 180/0W during daylight hours.
Hmmm, I've got a 95 amp alternator, so mine might handle that. Thanks for the info, and thanks for the feedback on the seller too. He's got a decent feedback rating, but some of the negatives gave me a pause. Always good to hear from someone with personal experience other than just ebay's feedback system.

John

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
I will alsoget a relay to shut off my upperlow beams. This setup will give you 400W of lights going forward at night and only 180/0W during daylight hours.
Does this mean you will have only your High Beams on at night, blinding the drivers coming towards you? Is that safe? I know how I hate it when I have to drive into High Beam Headlights.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Larry22935 wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
I will alsoget a relay to shut off my upperlow beams. This setup will give you 400W of lights going forward at night and only 180/0W during daylight hours.
Does this mean you will have only your High Beams on at night, blinding the drivers coming towards you? Is that safe? I know how I hate it when I have to drive into High Beam Headlights.
No, it simply means I have the option of turning off the lights using high wattage for driving in traffic. With my setup leaving the high beams on is not an option as they are very bright and will blind oncoming traffic.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Kimswang, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am still a bit confused about the shutting low beams off. Maybe we will see each other at a Meet & Greet some day and you can show me what its all about.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Larry22935 wrote:
Kimswang, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am still a bit confused about the shutting low beams off. Maybe we will see each other at a Meet & Greet some day and you can show me what its all about.
That would be cool. Shutting off the low beams is simply to save the battery when running low RPM over a long period of time. I just want to do it with a relay so that it is fail safe.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Do those HF bulbs have the bluish glow?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.