Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all..i am at a loss. i cannot get my low beam lights to work. yes both bulbs are good. fuses all fine. i replaced the 20amp circuit breaker for low beams...still nothing. i removed the hi/low switch and checked that also.
so what am i missing? hi-beams work great,in fact, that's the only way i can ride now...i need some advice :?

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

ok try this, worked a 1500, spray contact cleaner around the starter switch,work it as u spray.this bikes headlights would go on n off as u tried 2 start it. this worked. or u may have 2 take switch apart. be careful, they may have a rocker inside,(brass) with small spring inside. dirty, spray with contact cleaner. u might b able to do this 2 headlight switch without takeing it apart also.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ok sounds like something to try...only thing i am not sure of..is why the hi beams work starting or not??

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

The start switch would interrupt both low and high. Check the low beam relay.

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you got the correct relay location? It is the top left.

JD

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Are you sure you got the correct relay location? It is the top left.

JD
yep..put a brand new relay in the #1 position accord to factory manual

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

Remove the relay and check wires at panel. Two should be hot with key on. Of the other two one is a ground (check that). The last one will be the feed for low beams. Use a jumper and apply power to that lead and the lights should light, if not, trace the wire for an open.

JD

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't it be the #8 relay?

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave,

This is from a 90 Shop Manual.

JD

·
Administrator
26,144 Posts
imported post

OK, that is different from the manual (CD) I have. It is 95 I think. I knew the 88-89 was different and do not have 90-94 ETM so I made an assumption I shouldn't have. It does look like the same fuse/relay box, just different locations for the relays. If that is an aftermarket manual I would still be skeptical.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i found it!!! i removed the fuse/relay block to access the back. wiggled and jiggled wires for awhile. i could get the lights to come on occaissonally ,but never stay on. then started wiggling relays also.same results . finally i wiggled #8 it would come on and stay on till i jarred it again. removed the relay to find the terminal had been overheated at some point...i repaired the damage and seems ok..will re-test several times before i button things up

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.