Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I'm a new member to this forum, I have a problem with my GL1500, the headlight relay went out, and I replaced it with a new one, but I'm still not getting a headlight (or guages working) can I test the relay with a meter?:praying:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

Did you check the 5 amp fuse below the headlight relay? They blow if a shorted wire happens. Why Honda put it there is beyond my reasoning. Should have been in the fuse panel.

I don't know how to test the relay. But you can swap out with a known good one. Do check that fuse. Hope that works.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Which one of the headlight-beams have failed?
What other lights (or other) are not working?

It could be that you've just grabbed the wrong relay...

There's a relay for High-beams and one for Low-beam. Both relays receive their power (for the lamps) through the "Head Fuse" which is a 15A fuse about 5th down in the fuse box. As mentioned above, the "switching" side power is from a 5A fuse which is located in the Relay Box, beneath the low-beam relay (center column).

Between the 5A fuse and the High/Low switch in the left grip is the start switch -- if the start switch is not returing properly or is dirty (quite common) the headlamps will stay off since either relay's coil will not be powered...

... could be ... Is anything else not working (position lams next to the headlamp; are they ON ok ?)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Of course, I just re-read the riginal post that DOES say that the gauges are also inop.

Check the 8th fuse down 15A, then look to relay farthest to the rear of the bike in the top row (the #3 relay - TAIL / MAIN). As you remove it, look closely at the connectors, they do tend to overheat and cause other problems (very common failure)

Is this the relay that you've already replaced? Should be a 30A relay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.