Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Goldwing GL1500I and earlier I asked for help regarding inoperative headlights and non flashing signals remaining on. The only way to turn the bike off is to turn the key off and turn the headlight switch to bright. I have changed the ignition switch and all the relays are working. I rotated them to every plug in the relay area. All of them "click". I checked the plug to the headlight and it is receiving just about 7.5 volts. I was wondering where to go next.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
The only way to turn the bike off is to turn the key off and turn the headlight switch to bright
Very unfortunate situation. There is no normal malfunction which would cause this, very likely someone has been into the wiring harness and messed things up.

I do not think you will find anyone who has an answer. You need to start from scratch with a wiring diagram of the bike.

A visual inspection of where someone has previously torn into the harness is the best place to start, there is a mile of wiring on these things.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
It might be helpful to give some history on the ride for other posters.

Did the problems appear overnight, salvage title, electrical short with smoke?

What brought about the problems and what has been done so far?

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
There is a ground gang connector, orange in color, on the left side near the front of the gas tank taped to the main harness. It has been known to melt and cause all sorts of strange electrical problems.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,909 Posts
Have you checked the starter switch. The headlights are turned off when the starter switch is pressed. If the contacts are dirty this could cause low voltage to the headlight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This situation has been on going since late April 2013. The headlight/ signal light situation has been unsolvable. I have changed the ignition switch and check the fuses and relays. The ignition switch caused alot of delay due to complexity of the operation. I have performed all work and carefully rebuilt the fairing. I did reconnect all disconnected connectors. The radio and ignition function normally. The engine runs. The neutral, sidestand, and other indicators function. I will try to check the START button for abnormality. I appreciate all help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There is a ground gang connector, orange in color, on the left side near the front of the gas tank taped to the main harness. It has been known to melt and cause all sorts of strange electrical problems.
Check the Orange Plug on Both sides of your bike...
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...orum/384168-gl1500-common-ground-gremlin.html

When mine melted, it had similar issue as yours for the turn signals staying On... but not the problem with ignition remaining On. This connector is a Common Ground for pretty much everything, hence any problem there will show up in multiple locations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep that in mind, but I have never seen it. I will look and examine. These symptoms came over suddenly.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
I wouldn't waste the time on the start button. They can be problematic, but not to this extent. Dave and Alex have given you good advice. Follow it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fellows- I managed to disassemble and reassemble the run/ stop/ start assembly w/o mishap; I cannot believe that so little mess could cause such trouble, but the magic took place and IT WORKS NOW!! Thanks to Dave0430, Driver/Rider, DingDong, Dennis... and Bike, Alex Bereczky and all others not seen but still great information. I appreciate all information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well folks, I finally found the problem to my headlights. The previous owner(s) had spliced the wiring on the right side of the fairing just inside of the right side locked pocket. I straightened the wiring and viola the lights are operating. It was a simple fix to a hide-and-go-seek problem. Thanks to all who helped me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.