Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Both headlights are out on my GL1500 1994 Aspencade. I replaced the fuse marked "head" in the fuse box and both bulbs, and still no headlights. They were working a couple days ago. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

It's not too unusual for both bulbs to go at once or very close together.

Sorry, I missed the part where you replaced the bulbs.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

There are 2 fuses involved, #12 & #5 also the start button kills the lights when starting and has been known to loose contact, try popping the start switch a few times and if the lights come on take the switch housing apart and clean it out with contact cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

Dave0430, You need to check the wiring diagram again. There is only one fuse involved (# 5 15-amp).

The 55-amp main fuse supplies power to the # 5 15-amp fuse.

The # 5 15-amp fuse supplies power to the low and high beam relays.

The low and high beam relays supplies power to the headlight bulbs.

The starter switch supplies power to the dimmer switch.

The dimmer switch supplies power to trigger the relays.

That's it..........!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

I vote for the starter switch too. There is a spring in there that is supposed to push the button back out. When it gets weak it can let the headlight control part of the switch remain touching.

Have I confused you? Anyway, that spring can be stretched or if you can find one the right size, replaced. Caution; there are some tiny things in that switch so take it apart above a bowl or something.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I'm easy to confuse. Not a mechanic by any stretch. BUT I have determined that the low beams are OUT, and the hi beams are OK!!!!

Does that argue for a bad low beam relay??????

Thanks DBohrer for your email!

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

SailorKane wrote:
I'm easy to confuse. Not a mechanic by any stretch. BUT I have determined that the low beams are OUT, and the hi beams are OK!!!!

Does that argue for a bad low beam relay??????

Thanks DBohrer for your email!
More information is always a big help.
Yes that does indicate the #8 low beam relay.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

A fairly easy test is to swap the low beam relay for the high beam relay. If the low beams work again, but the highs quit, the relay is the problem. I've had the low beam relay quit twice in the time I've owned my '94A.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Wow. Good info. Means I should order a couple relays ahead of time. The local dealer only had one 20a relay in stock.

In my case the problem proved to be the dimmer switch. The dealer wanted about $400 for the switch assembly and labor. Plus the $85 already spent to diagnose the problem. I went home, got out my CRC QD COntact Cleaner, sprayed all around the dimmer switch, exercised the switch, and it now appears to work fine. I'll run with it until I have further problems. I can also buy the switch assembly online for $113 and install it myself, if necessary.....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

It's good you found it Sailor. And now you'll be able to pass that info along next time someone has that problem.

Those switches are a constant problem on 'Wings for some reason. I'm surprised nobody hear thought of the left side asthe potentialproblem area.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

Dennis, Someone here did think of the dimmer switch...

It was included in the diagnostic procedure I sent to Mark via e-mail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.