Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
Its been a while since i've been on here and hopefully this is an easy issue.

I have had a 1988 gl1500 for about a year and a half. it runs like a dream except it always seems to have a heavy gas smell. i have left it run and searched but have not found any leaks. I have changed plugs, filters, etc. like i said the bike seems to run great. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
When you "fill-up" with gas, is the plastic "tray" wet or moist when you smell gas?? Sometimes the fuel petcock diaphragm gets a hole in it and gas will leak there.

It also could be a stuck float in one (or both) carbs.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Does it smell while riding,mine got to smell like gas when I parked it in my garage after a ride and when I loosen the gas cap,it went woosh ,I drilled a tiny hole in the raised area in the gas cap and that fixed it,some will say that’s not right but it fixed mine,it runs great and 42 mpg last week for 500 miles

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
The 1988 - 1991 fuel filler caps do not have a vent hose.

In 1992 Honda added a vent hose to the fuel filler cap.

Have you cleaned the cap and its gasket.....??

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I can't verify an '88 gas cap, , but I can CONFIRM that my '91 has a vent hose out the top of the gas cap cuz the dam thing gets in the way every time I try to fit the pump nozzle into the tank.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I can't verify an '88 gas cap, , but I can CONFIRM that my '91 has a vent hose out the top of the gas cap cuz the dam thing gets in the way every time I try to fit the pump nozzle into the tank.
Yours must be a Ca model,mine has that and I think the emissions on the Ca model is different,the hose goes off down to some kind of canister.

·
Administrator
57,647 Posts
Yours must be a Ca model,mine has that and I think the emissions on the Ca model is different,the hose goes off down to some kind of canister.

my '94SE had a canister down below the frame.
my mechanic told me to take it off, it is not needed.
just let the hose hang down loose.
the canister was rattling around bad anyway, so I threw it away.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I can CONFIRM that a 1988 - 1989 doesn't have a vent hose connected to the gas cap. Have friends with both years....!

Based on what I saw in the Honda fiche, the 1990 - 1991 did not have the vent hose.

But maybe the Honda fiche is incorrect, wouldn't be the first time for them or myself.

Bluthunder, I just have to ask, are you the original owner of the 1991...??

Any chance the gas cap could have been changed since new with a later year gas cap....??

Stranger things have happened........!!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I can CONFIRM that a 1988 - 1989 doesn't have a vent hose connected to the gas cap. Have friends with both years....!

Based on what I saw in the Honda fiche, the 1990 - 1991 did not have the vent hose.

But maybe the Honda fiche is incorrect, wouldn't be the first time for them or myself.

Bluthunder, I just have to ask, are you the original owner of the 1991...??

Any chance the gas cap could have been changed since new with a later year gas cap....??

Stranger things have happened........!!

Yep, one owner, , ME, , drove it off the showroom floor. It IS a California bike though, , maybe the emission crud required a vent hose on it, , just dunno.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Does it have pressure when you remove the gas cap

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I think a real good candidate would be the gas petcock. I have a ‘95 1500, and I get the same thing and I’m pretty sure that’s what the problem is. You will either have to replace it or get a rebuild kit for it.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I had a 93 without the hose. I vote for the petcock being your problem. How is the gas mileage? When I bought mine I was 200 miles from home. I filled up about half way home and was getting low again when I got home.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I had a 99 GL1500 with a heavy gas smell. I finally traced it down to a seeping carburetor bowl. It wouldn't leak enough for any fuel to show up on the engine or anywhere else. I got fed up with it, so I removed the shelter and took flashlight and found the culprit. Had to remove carbs, but didn't rebuild them. Just removed the bowls and put a thin layer of gas, oil resistant Permatex Ultra Black on the bowls. Worked for me. If the petcock rebuild kit doesn't do the trick, this might. Beware though, a lot of labor to get to the carbs and remove.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts