Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a loss and so is the dealer. 89 Gl1500 on accassions will start and when the fuel bowl is empy (about 1 block) it stops as if out of gas. Towed to dealer - they prime it or tweak and it is fine for a few weeks then again it happens. they have replaced vacume lines, shutoff devise (sorry for my technical ignorance - silver round valve by gas cap). They say seems to have strong vacume, fuel pump pumping great, but no idea why this keeps happeing. 6 times in 6 months. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
The 89 has a fuel pump relay, has it been replaced?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds to me like a low-fuel problem... Just because the Fuel Petcock was replaced, does not mean that the new one works any better... There was a guy on here recently who had similar problem after having rebuilt the petcock (eg The Repaired unit was as bad as the broken one it replaced). Anyhow, try Bypassing the petcock.

... 89 Gl1500 on accassions will start and when the fuel bowl is empy (about 1 block) it stops as if out of gas...
> Does it shut off Suddenly, or slowly while loosing power? If it's sudden, then probably due to the kill switches or BAS

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Are they sure it's a gas problem? Bank angle sensors often went bad on early GL1500s, causing the engine to cut out.
There's actually a recall replacing the BAS for the 89. Your dealer should be able to ID whether this has been done...if not, you have it coming free of charge.

Fuel pumps can fail intermittently too...they don't really get full battery voltage on the bike. So when the pump is 'jumped' directly with a good fully charged battery they can begin to work. Or sometimes a good 'jar' (from loading the bike) would be enough to prompt it to start pumping again. The pump can be failing and appear to work OK. The only way to figure out what's happening is while the bike is failed. That's what makes intermittent problems tough to diagnose.

If the failure occurs so infrequently that the shop can't verify it (make it happen), sometimes they're left with making the best guess as to what's wrong. That's when your description of how it died, circumstances, restarting, become an important clue. If it were me diagnosing the problem I'd be asking you alot of questions. Not ideal but if the guess is wrong at least you find out what it's not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's actually a recall replacing the BAS for the 89. Your dealer should be able to ID whether this has been done...if not, you have it coming free of charge.

Fuel pumps can fail intermittently too...they don't really get full battery voltage on the bike. So when the pump is 'jumped' directly with a good fully charged battery they can begin to work. Or sometimes a good 'jar' (from loading the bike) would be enough to prompt it to start pumping again. The pump can be failing and appear to work OK. The only way to figure out what's happening is while the bike is failed. That's what makes intermittent problems tough to diagnose.

If the failure occurs so infrequently that the shop can't verify it (make it happen), sometimes they're left with making the best guess as to what's wrong. That's when your description of how it died, circumstances, restarting, become an important clue. If it were me diagnosing the problem I'd be asking you alot of questions. Not ideal but if the guess is wrong at least you find out what it's not.
It does not restart, but cranks. They have to tinker to get it going again. I think I will try bypassing the fuel shut off valve.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds to me like a low-fuel problem... Just because the Fuel Petcock was replaced, does not mean that the new one works any better... There was a guy on here recently who had similar problem after having rebuilt the petcock (eg The Repaired unit was as bad as the broken one it replaced). Anyhow, try Bypassing the petcock.

> Does it shut off Suddenly, or slowly while loosing power? If it's sudden, then probably due to the kill switches or BAS
It quits suddenly. Never while hot, only when been sitting for 4 plus hours. WEHe it happens it starts, reves, I go 1 blook and dies suddenly. No restreat but cranks. Always the EXACT same thing - smae corner and lsight. (6times over 6 months)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ALWAYS on cold start. (Sitting 4 hours) Starts, revs, goes 1 block and dies. Cranks but no fuel. Rapir folks have to tinker to make start - then runs for weeks, this it happnes again. From work, smae corner EVERY time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.