Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Took the 1989 gl1500 for a test ride after changing the air filter, the two foam filters and the spark plugs which I gapped at .033. The low speed hesitation or flat spot now seems to be worse. I checked for vacuum leaks and the slides seemed to be working okay and squirting the little stream of gas at the same time. There was no flat spot or hesitation with the air filter off. Guess I'll take it to the shop and let them have a look and maybe sync the carbs. You know I like the wings as I have a 1200 and a 1500 and they both have similar problems. I think though when next spring comes I'm going to sell both of them. My vtx does not have all of these problems and at least you can find someone to work on them for you. My experience with wings has not been satisfying and they seem to take a lot of attention and money for the little time you get to ride.

oldmanonavtx

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

gas ? you know most places are selling the mix now. ethenol. i got a harley also so and it's terrible down low but soon as you crank it it's fine. my goldwing is under going rentavation. but i look at the pumps now before i fill up if it has ethenol i drive on, just an idea. we've had tons of rain here and i know they have had the lids off refilling the in ground tanks so it could be just plain water and they really hate that.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
imported post

Don't give up on the 'Wings so soon. And certainly don't condemn the lot, for the problems you're having with a couple of twenty-something year old bikes that may have been subjected to any manner of abuse. Search out other bikes that age and see what you get. It won't be many and they won't be pretty.

Mine is giving me a bit of trouble right now but it's the first time in 22 years and nearly a quarter-million miles. When I bought this bike, I was also considering a BMW KLT. Now, I really doubt that bike would have given me anywhere near the same trouble-free service this 'Wing has. :action:

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Yeah, don't give up on her yet! My 88 had the same hesitation which drove me crazy. Both the 88's and 89's had the same problem. I installed the 4* trigger wheel last winter while changing the timing belts. Hesitation gone! Rides like a new bike, even at 21 years of age. Search this site for a tutorial by Rudy for changing the belts. Excellent step by step with photo's. I think I paid about $35 for the trigger wheel. I changed out the filters, plugs and radiator fluid at the same time. Since then, it's been more riding than wrenching. I would suggest syncing the carbs after the above if you go that route. With the advance timing, they suggest running high octane. I also add about a half can of seafoam every other tank.

Othermembers have found that some of the vacuum lines have deteriorated and have also caused the hesitation problem. I think I'm going to tackle replacing mine this winter. I'm sure there will be others chiming in. There are alot of older 1500's on the road and on the forum here.

Hogan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.