Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just bought a 1994 GL1500, 90K miles, a couple weeks ago. Been doing wrenching and maintenance, like air cleaner, fuel filter, better horn, oil & filter change, rear drive oil change, tires, rear spline grease, brakes. In all cases, the PO has done good maintenance, apparently right on time, and often my replacements are either "on time" or even before they were needed. (e.g. fuel filter and air filters show signs of dirt, but could probably have gone another year without replacing). Timing belts are often discussed and PO replaced them 30K miles ago.

Now we're going on a long trip. Two months on the road to various places. I am wondering about the radiator hoses. No indication from PO if/when they have been replaced. The ones on there inspect well--no cracking, hoses seem flexible, etc. Obviously replacing them could provide "peace of mind", but the maintenance list is already very long, I'm running out of time, and one has to stop somewhere. I do always carry duct tape and tools, and could probably nurse it to a dealer to do a hose swap if necessary, but obviously a fix on the road is always harder than one at home.

So, advice?!? Anyone ever had a radiator hose burst? Any ideas on recommended change intervals?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You said it all. Peace of mind. Mine is a 93 and my hoses look good, but that doesn't mean one won't spring a leak. Because I inspect them, as part of a PM thing, I would feel comfortable with some tape along.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

top elbow on the resuvoi might crack and steam clean you at high speed...easy fix....i would not bother and disturb anything..if its not broke....you might have a more probability of a problem and leaks after your work......but i would change the coolant...i would worry more about the alternator at 90k....unless its fresh already...bring black tape and tie wraps and hose clamps...over the tape/hole...if needed!

·
Premium Member
68,501 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you changed a radiator hose in your car ???

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

SailorKane wrote:
I just bought a 1994 GL1500, 90K miles, a couple weeks ago. Been doing wrenching and maintenance, like air cleaner, fuel filter, better horn, oil & filter change, rear drive oil change, tires, rear spline grease, brakes. In all cases, the PO has done good maintenance, apparently right on time, and often my replacements are either "on time" or even before they were needed. (e.g. fuel filter and air filters show signs of dirt, but could probably have gone another year without replacing). Timing belts are often discussed and PO replaced them 30K miles ago.

Now we're going on a long trip. Two months on the road to various places. I am wondering about the radiator hoses. No indication from PO if/when they have been replaced. The ones on there inspect well--no cracking, hoses seem flexible, etc. Obviously replacing them could provide "peace of mind", but the maintenance list is already very long, I'm running out of time, and one has to stop somewhere. I do always carry duct tape and tools, and could probably nurse it to a dealer to do a hose swap if necessary, but obviously a fix on the road is always harder than one at home.

So, advice?!? Anyone ever had a radiator hose burst? Any ideas on recommended change intervals?
I would not be worried about those radiator hoses. I know lots of older GL1500's (some as much as 20 years old) with original hoses and no problems. And they have well over 100,000 miles on them.

I would be more concerned about the alternator brushes (at 90k miles) if they have never been serviced.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

They usually feel mushy when their too old. Spend your last minutes looking at things like your valve stems, side walls, treads & braking system. Those are the lil things that can cause you pain!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
They usually feel mushy when their too old. Spend your last minutes looking at things like your valve stems, side walls, treads & braking system. Those are the lil things that can cause you pain!
Thanks. Getting new tires and brakes tomorrow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.