Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Best thing I've found to make it easier to get a GL1500 up onto the centerstand, is to make sure that the axle for it is Greased! The ones I've seen are typically dry, rusted, and have grinding marks from metal-on-metal wear.

Steps: (Takes 1hr)
1) Set bike on side stand.
2) Remove left muffler (after removing saddle bag, etc)
3) Add COINS (pennies) to the slots in the spring, to the center stand... use pliers to insert as far as possible.
4) Remove spring to center stand, while in the Up position... The spring will barely compress, due to the coins.
5) Remove cotter pin on right end of axle to center stand.
6) Remove pinch bolt to axle, on rt side.
7) Remove axle to center stand, by pulling to left.
8) Remove center stand.
9) Drill and tap a hole in the middle of the centerstand... Insert a "Zert" Grease Fitting... Both mine required a washer between the fitting and the stand, to prevent the fitting from entering the hole too far and interfering with the axle.
10) Use a grinding wheel to make a "shallow spiral shaped groove" across the full length of the axle... This will be the Path for the grease to follow, when you inject it via the zert fitting.
11) Grease the axle, the reverse steps #1-8 to install.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

This is a great tip. Thank you!:claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Thanks Alex, good tip. One question, do we need to make the groove? If we don't, won't the grease still find its way along the shaft?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

beertap tom wrote:
Thanks Alex, good tip. One question, do we need to make the groove? If we don't, won't the grease still find its way along the shaft?
The groove is a good idea, it will force the grease all around the shaft. Otherwise with no groove the grease will take the easy way out and probably won't coat the whole surface.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

babypp2 wrote:
Great post
Hey babypp, I took a look at your profile and you seem to habe an invisible link in all your posts, (spam link deleted by wingnut) What does that mean? I can see it in your profile but it isn't visiblein your posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
Alex, do you know offhand if your excellent grease nipple fix works on the older Goldwings?
> I'd say "Yes", so long as the Outer Tube (through which the Zert Fitting is screwed) is thick enough to create a Thread... or aprox 1/16".

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

beertap tom wrote:
> I don't know... have not tested it without the groove present.
> I figure that if it works then good, but if not then no worse off to have the groove.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

BenMilner wrote:
Hey babypp, I took a look at your profile and you seem to habe an invisible link in all your posts,(spam link deleted by wingnut)

What does that mean? I can see it in your profile but it isn't visiblein your posts.
You uncovered an image link spammer Ben, thanks. I've deleted all his posts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.