Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A piece of electrical tape makes the windshield vent operate a whole lot smoother... It reduces the "Indent" that the ball bearing falls into.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Alex The elctricle tape is good But I would get some Tri-flow I got Mine at a bicycle shop ! I used to use it on my old kaw chain & it worked great ! I use it on locks on my windshield vent & Numbers of things ! I think its better then wd-40 as it has a tendancy to dri things out !Anyway go here www.triflow.com & You can learn more about it !

·
751 Posts
imported post

Alex instead go herehttp://www.triflowlubricants.com/

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
A piece of electrical tape makes the windshield vent operate a whole lot smoother... It reduces the "Indent" that the ball bearing falls into.
As an electrician I use and have tried a lot of electrical tapes and can tell you that while your fix may work for a while you are risking gumming up the works and making things worse later. First not all electrical tapes are created equal and while I may be wrong yours appears to be a generic brand. Some tapes will simply lose or never have enoughhold while othersmore commonly will leave a black very sticky goo that is very difficult to remove. Exposure to direct sun and heat will make this worse. I haven't tinkered withmy ventas it's new but sounds like lubing as the others have said seems the way to go. When your socket driver's ball bearing rusts and sockets get difficult to install and remove lube is usually the answer. Seems like this may be a similar setup?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well I've been using this "Modification" for several years now, and it works fine... It's a nice "creature comfort".

I like the tape better than a lube, because with the now-smaller-indent, the vent does not offer as much resistance to movement.

My goal is to limit how much stress is placed on the brittle plastic, due to having breakage on an earlier vent.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

The tape is a good idea, thanks Alex. All you need to do is change it occasionally and it won't get all sticky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.