Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
More information please. Has the bike been left sitting for a long time? Timing belts done recently? It would be very unlikely that the lifters in all 6 cylinders would stick in the open position.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
It's not unheard of for the lifters to pump up and hold valves open.

if you get you bike on the center stand in 5th gear (NOT RUNNING, of course) and work at rotating the rear tire only about 1/8 turn (pull rearward at the bottom of the rear tire) every 20-minutes or so for a long afternoon you'll have the effect of cycling the cams through most of their positions pressing the adjusters and venting any pump-up that they may have... If the bike's been sitting, an oil change and/or flush would be something that I'd recommend as soon as you try to get on the starter again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

if you get you bike on the center stand in 5th gear (NOT RUNNING, of course) and work at rotating the rear tire only about 1/8 turn (pull rearward at the bottom of the rear tire) every 20-minutes or so for a long afternoon you'll have the effect of cycling the cams through most of their positions pressing the adjusters and venting any pump-up that they may have... If the bike's been sitting, an oil change and/or flush would be something that I'd recommend as soon as you try to get on the starter again...
thanks for advice will try this as soon as snow clears up will let you know how i go on cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lifters

More information please. Has the bike been left sitting for a long time? Timing belts done recently? It would be very unlikely that the lifters in all 6 cylinders would stick in the open position.
hi thanks for your reply i would better to talk to you on phone if this is ok my email is [email protected] if you give your contact no i will ring you cheers

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

Yes! I've come across this at least twice on early model year 1500s. I removed and bled the lifters, changed oil. At the time I wondered if they were running too heavy viscosity oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.