Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys :waving:,

I am having a problem with an erratic idle on my 1500. The bike run's great and idles beautifully at 800 rpm or so but occasionally the idle becomes erratic and drops to 500 / 600rpm and might stay that way until driven 30 or so miles then revert back to it's perfect idle again. Just yesterday I drove 40 unplesant miles including city driving and when I pulled into the driveway she was her usual self, beautiful, smooth and begging to be given another drive. Rain eh!!!

Any thoughts? :?

I am also hearing popping in the exhaust!!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

A vacuum leak is the first thing I would look for. The 1500 has miles of vacuum hoses and joints that can perish and crack.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Another little trick to try, is to turn the idle screw (knob next to the gas cap) back and forth a few times and then reset it. It has worked for others on here.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys.
Replaced all the vacumn hoses after the tranny job. Carbs were cleaned and floats set. Did the idle screw thingy already. Any other maybe'ssss.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Try setting it to 875 mine was doing the up down on occasion till i bumped it up and now it will throttle up and when i let off it drops back slowly and stays there.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Could be Vacuum Leak from the Rubber Boots, that connect the carbs to the engine manifold... these crack over time, and/or don't seal well.

I always put a smear of Air Filter Grease on mine, prior to re-installing the carbs.

Easiest thing to do offhand would be to get a long screwdriver and verify that the upper and lower Clamps, to each of the 2 boots, are tight.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Bump up the idle speed a little.. also work the idle screw adjustment in and out a few turns.. that often relieves the problem (don't ask me why... it just does something worthwhile..)

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Seafoam stopped my popping or backfiring when i let off the throttle. One carb slide wasn't closing all the way.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Sorry for the delay in getting back to all ya, weather etc etc. :lash:

I bumped up the idle to 900 minus a tad and the problem is solved. :applause:

Thanks again for all the input guys. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Hi, it might be a good idea to change the fuel filter and air filter,check the cc filter and sub filter as pm.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
What is 'air filter grease' ?
> It is a thick, waxy, non-lubricating grease that does not run under high heat... It merely provides an Air Seal between an air filter and the mating surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/99-0704-Sealing-Grease-6oz/dp/B000BR51SI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1318006800&sr=1-1-catcorr

I discovered the need for it with my first set of K&N filters on a GSXR750, by noticing that the filter "pods" did not seal adequatly against the intake manifold... which allowed Unfiltered air to bypass the filter media, into the carbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.