Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all, i finally have a headset with a mic(previously just speakers). is the intercom suppose to have an open microphone? i notice with the knob turned on,that i have constant mic for the intercom and push-to-talk for the CB

thank

robin

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yes open mic all the time for intercom.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

That was my question. So if I get ticked at a car and say something ugly then my wife will hear me without me pushing a button, right?:cheeky1::shock:

So the TX button that she has in the back is just for the CB? I can hear her at anytime as well?:(

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yes,,,,,,,,, the mic is always open for the intercom between both driver and passenger. You can set the sensitivity for the intercom as well.

With the CB,,,,,,,,,, you need to push the button to talk.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

hmmm...this has got me thinking more and more. I did a quick search, and found a simple VOX circuit on the bottom of page 15 of the data sheet for the LM146 - which is nothing more than a quad LM346 op-amp.

It's a very simple circuit that also provides an output (labelled "control" on the diagram) that could be used to drive an LED to indicate when the VOX was active.

I'm thinking I could build a box with two of these complete circuits in it. Two separate squelch controls, one for driver, one for passenger. That way the VOX would be more sensitive, and you would have less noise when talking, making the intercom much more intelligible - when you talk, only your mic would be open, instead of your mic plus the passenger's mic which is just adding noise. Plus the tendency to feed back would be reduced considerably.

It could be built in a box with two male and two female 5-pin DIN pigtails, that plugged in between the existing harnesses and the intercom.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

doozer wrote:
hey GS would love to hear how that idea works out. mind posting what you are thinking of as a layout for it? think i would give it a try also.
I'm thinking a 7812 regulator with a couple large-ish electrolytic capacitors after it, to try to filter out as much ignition noise as possible.

Then duplicating the circuit as shown in the data sheet here:

Driver mic would go into the input of one circuit, passenger mic would go into the input of the second circuit. Both circuits would share the same power supply. Both circuits would sum the audio out together, and inject it (probably through a resistor, depending on the gain of that last op-amp, and possibly a .1 uF decoupling capacitor) into the existing mic circuit of the intercom.

The two 10K audio taper (I assume) pots on the third op-amp I would bring out separately to the outside of the fairing, so that the VOX sensitivity could be adjusted independently for driver and passenger.

Lastly, just for show, I'd like to throw a couple LED's on the "control" output, which I would mount right above the pots on the fairing. This would tell you which mic had broken the VOX, and make it easier to know which one to adjust.

I'm thinking the whole thing should be enclosed in an aluminum box which is grounded to further reduce noise. I'm thinking the box will have a 10-pin connector on it that will allow for a quick disconnect from the pots/LEDs. Lastly, it would have four 5-pin DIN pigtails, two male and two female, to allow the box to be inserted in the line for each headset.

That's what I came up with anyway, as I was falling asleep last night. :)

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

If I do go ahead and build this, the minimum number of circuit boards my board prototyper will produce is 3, and that's around $60. Then probably another $20-25 of parts on top of that, so around $40-$45 apiece, my cost. Would anyone be interested in such a thing, and would want to go in on one, if I were to produce it?

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
If I do go ahead and build this, the minimum number of circuit boards my board prototyper will produce is 3, and that's around $60. Then probably another $20-25 of parts on top of that, so around $40-$45 apiece, my cost. Would anyone be interested in such a thing, and would want to go in on one, if I were to produce it?
Just curiosity asking here: But if where that simple-then why hasn't J&M or another company done it?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Build it and they will come.

Field of Dreams

I'm always open for testing somwthing new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.