Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I wasn't able to findany thread(s) that addressed this issue, so please bear with me on this. I'm sure someone out there will either recall the thread or know the answer to the problem I'm having with my 1989 Gl1500.

HISTORY: My 89 Wing's clock just turned 95K mi. and is running better than when new - really! A year and a half ago, along with routine maintenance (oil change, brake fluid change, coolant change, etc.), I stripped her down and inspected, cleaned, and re-seated all the connectors, fuses, relays, switches, etc.; and she's been running beautifully since then.

SYMPTOMS:This past weekend I pulled into a gas station for fuel and shut her off. But when I restarted her, she started running normally, except:

1) the Tachometer needle instantly dropped to zero

2)the bluehigh beam indicator light didn't light up, and theheadlights were out

3)when I put the sidestand down with the transmission in first gear, the sidestand cutoff switch didn't kill the engine as it normally does.

4) I shifted into neutral and got NO neutral light

5) I raised the reverse lever and everything felt normal, but nothing happened - no light, no reverse when pressing the starter switch.

I again checked all the fusesand relays I could get to with the seat and side covers removed. Iwiggled the connections, and everything returned to normal operation again - everything was functioning normally again.

A week later, after a stop mid-way through a 150 mile ride,it all happened again.This time I wasn't in a place where I could perform any checks so I restartedher and rode about 1/2 mile down the road (on a gravel road, of course!), to a solid clear area and shut her down again. Before removing side panels, seat, etc., I restarted her to confirm exactly which components were out. She was shut down forabout 5 minutes, and when I restartedher, everything worked normally once again! No unplugging orwiggling this time!

Now, I'm scratchin' my head onthis one...

I seem to recall reading a thread on this forum that addressed symptoms like these that were caused by afaulty Reverse Relay? Or am I just having flashbacks to my 1960s days?

Anyone have any ideas how I can cure my 'Wing's electrical problems?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

don't know what the cure is but will be watching for the solution, so please keep us up to date. i'm sure someone will know.

i'm thinking loose connection, maybe . good luck,

mark:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi daffy the reverse relay is under the seat on the battery side you need to make sure there all clicked into place but before you do that start the bike and when you wiggle the relays ect see if the fault accurs again you know you may never find the prob as you may just hit whats loose and it never happens again

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

One possibility could be the # 3 Tail Main Relay (in the relay box). I would check the contacts where it plugs in to see if they are clean and tight. Also that relay could be faulty. When the # 3 Tail Main relay fails, it can cause several electrical circuits to malfunction. It would be worth checking out.......!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,610 Posts
imported post

Daffy1,

I remember the thread, but can't find it either. I've got this one bookmarked to add to the index as soon as you get it resolved.

So, if anyone can help, please do, we need a good solid fix on this one.

Please do , come back and post the fix and take pictures please.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
imported post

DBohrer is probably right, I thought about the #3 relay while I was out in the shop tearing down an 1100 engine just for grins. Started vacation and just hanging around the house today.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Update on my1989 Gl1500 intermittent electrical cut out of Tach, Reverse, lights and sidestand cutoff function problem:

First, sorry for taking so long getting back to this one; I wanted to make sure my "fix" actually fixed the problem... IT DID!

Here's what I did:

First-after looking the wiring diagram over, it appeared that relays #3 & #8 [they're located in the relay box under the left rear side cover, next to the fuse box]were the most likelycandidates for causing my problem, so, I checked that both Relay #3 & #8functioned {they should"click"} when the ignition key was turned to "ON".

Relay #8 {Ign Cruise}"clicked" as it should;

Relay #3 {Tail (Main)} "clicked"most of the time, but NOT every time, indicating the primary coil wasn't functioning reliably.

Second - I swappedrelay #4into the#3 socketand again checked if the relays "clicked" when the ignition key was turned to "ON"... It did click now every time I tried it.

Third - Igota used 20A relay, bench-tested it to be sure it worked properly and
had good, clean contacts, and that it had goodcontinuity using my Volt/Ohm meter.

Then I replaced the now missing #4 relay withthisnew (used)20A Relay.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

600+ miles and no repeat of the problem. Everything isworking normally again.

Post-mortum: All the connections had beentight in the Relay Box, soI disassembled the bad 20A relay and upon close inspection I found the battery contacts inside the relay casing were burned and had a thin layer of corrosion on them. This was not apparent from the outside of the casing, however.

It seems that the contacts were corroded just enough to causeexcessive resistance. This caused overheating and burning of the contacts, which led tothe intermittant loss of contact, thus preventing the battery current from triggering the primary coil and not closing the circuit when I tried to use reverse. The other symptoms are simply a result of the highly interconnectedcircuits that get energized when the #3 relay is activated.

My special Thanks go out to you, DBohrer.You were dead on the mark with your suggestion.

P. S. Removing/reinstalling the relay box cover IS a problem. There is very little space between the cover and the front edge of the left sidebag.

I found that I could getthe relay box cover off reasonabley easily, however, if I first removed the front inside and bottomsidebag (a.k.a. -saddlebag)mounting bolts and thensimply loosened the other two. This allows the sidebag's front edge to be pulled away from the frame enough to provide the extra clearance needed to remove the relay box cover; You do not have to completely remove the sidebag; and Reinstalling the relay box cover is simply done the same way - spring the front edge of the sidebag away from the frame enough to slip the relay box cover back on the relay box.

(I havetaken some pictures to show how this is done but need some info on howbest to add them here. What's the best format for the pictures?.jpg, .tiff, ???

My pics are rather large (about 1.2mb each))

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Resize the pics down to about 300kb, good size for clarity and small enough to open quick on a good dailup connection. Upload as jpeg's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.