Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Headed to work and about 10 miles from home traveling 55 to 60 mph a loud high pitch squeal from the front of my GL1500A suddenly scared the :shock:gagebies out of me. As I pulled over to the side of the road the noise suddenly quite around 25 mph or so. And could not replicate the noise with the engine still running. Started riding again around 55 mph, must have been 2 or 3 miles before the sound started again. With the clutch disengaged (lever in) and throttled down, the sound continued but the pitch lowered slowly as the bike coasted. I increased the RPM at this time but no change in the pitch or level of the squeal. Around 25 mph the noise suddenly quit. It almost sounded like a belt turning on a frozen wheel bearing, but the noise is not relative to RPM changes eliminating the timing belt tensioner. I road back home with the squeal scaring me only one more time before I arrived. I checked the cooling fans and they are functioning properly. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Mack, you have described the exact sound I had some time back on my '84 1200...and I mean exact..!! I don't know if 1500's commonly suffer this also, but I would say your speedo cable or drive mechanism of the speedo itself is whining...dry cable, speedo itself needing a bit of lube (gears?) somewhere...something like that. I assume the speedo works fine..mine did. I didn't end up doing anything about mine, 'cos the noise went and never returned, but this was shortly after getting it back on the road after nearly two years in my workshop.
Hope this helps..?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Yep....speedo cable for sure. Your needle should jump a little at slower speeds also. The RPM is not related to the cable.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the reply groutby and Snorebaby. Last winter maintenance I lubed the speedo gear and cable thoroughly, but the speedo assembly is definitely on my mind and thought about disconnecting the cable and see what happens. So when I got home from work tonight I took her for a 30 mile ride at different speeds (left the speedo cable on) and could not replicate the noise. I may be punching in the dark here but I'm kinda leaning towards the cruise control. I always have the cruise control turned on and use it as much as possible when I'm cruising above 50 mph. Tonight I noticed in the dark that I did not have the cruise control turned on and didn't used it. Does the cruise control operate off of vacuum? Because I originally said that around 25 mph the squeal suddenly stopped. On second thought maybe it was 35 mph instead. And I think the cruise control doesn't operate below 30 mph, meaning the vacuum would stop sucking and maybe that's the noise. I'll ride to work tomorrow without using the cruise control and ride home using the cruise control and see what happens. Thanks for listening. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

The cruise vacuum isn't that strong, I would be thinking speedo cable. Lube it again and plug it back in for the next test ride.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I believe you guys are right about the speedo cable or gear. I road to work and no noise and then on the way home I detected a slight noise that sounded just like a cable noise turning. I will have to work on it next week when I get back from Seattle so I'll let you know what I found. Thanks again for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
imported post

That's pretty wild. I was out on my new (to me) 93 1500 yesterday, and that noise kicked up on me. I recognized it, because the 1200 had done it a few times. It seems like it always did that in the fall/early winter, as this one did yesterday.

I suspect that it's one of those idiosyncracies of the Wing, maybe to do with wear and tear or maybe not. I also suspect it has to do with some expansion/contraction of something. I left the valley yesterday where it was probably 60 degrees, and went up into the mtns where there were a few drifts of snow on the ground, and prob 45 degrees or so. About the time I hit the coolest, shadiest part, it started. It stopped when I got back down into the valley. I thinks a little lube won't hurt nothin'.

Oh...forgot to mention in the first post....it's the speedo cable, as Snorebaby sez....

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Thank you again all on this site, I was just about to ask the same question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.