Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to get a perspective from the European darksider buddies. Are there any? There are many posts, but I have never paid attention if there are darksiders abroad.

In the states, we are very much limited to tire selection for the GL1500.

Last year, I went to the dark side, but with a taller tire than most- 175x75x 16 vs 175x60x16. I had only one choice - Verdestein or something like that. I purchase it stateside, but it is animport.

But over the pond, the UK Britt's seem to have one heck of a selection. Discount Tire seems to be an international company which is fairly common here in the US. Here is a UK Discount Tire link.

darkside tires. You know, we boast about our limited darkside tires here in the US.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

Fitting car tyres to bikes is illegal in the UK.

Probably for good reason... :hardhat:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

At the moment it is hard to ger a CT in ireland, Federal or my choice Dunlop winter sport 175 60 16 rof these tyres are 281 euro very expensive. We drive in all types of weatherwhere the Ct is an advantage.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

jimac wrote:

That's interesting. The guy who finallytalked me into putting one on my Valkyrie is in Leicester. He said they were common in the UK. Of course, that was almost ten years ago, so the laws may have changed since then.

Come to think of it, the guy who first told me about the Austone Taxi tire was also from the UK and that was since I bought the 1500 a couple years ago. I think he was from Scotland though.

Are they also illegal on sidecar bikes? He is a sidecarist.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

jimac wrote:

aaahhhhhhh o.k. finally some fodder on the forum...:popcorn:, let me sit back and watch this one;)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
jimac wrote:

That's interesting. The guy who finallytalked me into putting one on my Valkyrie is in Leicester. He said they were common in the UK. Of course, that was almost ten years ago, so the laws may have changed since then.

Come to think of it, the guy who first told me about the Austone Taxi tire was also from the UK and that was since I bought the 1500 a couple years ago. I think he was from Scotland though.

Are they also illegal on sidecar bikes? He is a sidecarist.
They are legal on sidecar outfits, just not "solo" machines (i.e. bikes without sidecars). They are also legal on Trikes. And it doesn't matter if it's in Scotland or not, the UK law still applies and as far as I'm aware it has never been legal.

If a bike has car tyres fitted it will fail its annual inspection. As these only start once the bike is 3 years old I suppose it's possible that owners of newer bikes might fit them but they would have to be removed for the annual test thereafter. And I would also guess that a bike with a car tyre fitted would be on very shaky ground if it was involved in an accident. It would be very likely that the insurance company would refuse to pay out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.