Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Helo everyone:

I have been looking around to see if I can find the key codes for a 97 GL1500. My brother wants to find and document his key codes for the "just in case I loose my keys while on a trip". I have read that it is on the Ing. switch but where? and will I have to remove the switch to read it.

Thanks everyone for all the great help you give.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Yes you need to remove the switch to see the code. Why not just get a copy made off the existing key?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not much point in being stuck somewhere having lost the key and just having the code to hand, as GW says,probably better to have spare or spares available.

A locksmith worth his salt can cut one from the key he has and does not need the lock or number.

If he travels alone and doesn't have a wife's handbag to keep a spare in then he might want to think of concealing a spare somewhere discrete on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Get the code off the fuel latch. That is assuming you have one key for ignition, trunk, and fuel.

I went to Walmart to get a spare, but they do not carry Honda blanks. Went to the dealer and gave him my key. He got the number off my bike, and their machine is automatic and cuts based on key code. Cost was not bad ~$4.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Get the code off the fuel latch. That is assuming you have one key for ignition, trunk, and fuel.
Carefull ,,the fuel cap only uses part of the key ,The ignition uses the full key , We came across this on a ST1300 ,guy lost the key and we got one cut from the fuel cap lock ,It worked on the luggage aand the fuel cap ,but not on the ignition ..

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

So Wexy, are you saying that a "Valet" key could be cut for any model ?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
So Wexy, are you saying that a "Valet" key could be cut for any model ?
Yes it could, and you could let the wives keep that key in their hand bags so they are prepared when they bring the luggage up to the hotel room.:):)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Right Pete, but then I suppose they could empty our tools anytime & refill with their shopping :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Right Pete, but then I suppose they could empty our tools anytime & refill with their shopping :cool::cool:
Technically posible Bob, so maybe best to stick with a hidden key, cut from either the main key, the key number, orthe ignition barrel layout. Itis even possible to get a good locksmith company to cut from a scanned picture ofakey.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Thanks Pete, I just happen to have the tools needed. :clapper::clapper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

FWI, I had spare keys made for my '94 GL1500 at the local super wally world keyshop back in the automotive section.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Everyone:

I told him to go and get a extra key made but he wants the information so he can document it.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Your Brother is quite correct to want this info, as already posted the key number will be stamped on the bottom of the fuel filler door lock, and provided that the lock hasn't been changed this key will work all locks. The last 3 digits are all that is required.
This will be A,B,C or D follow by 2 numbers between 00 and 99.
The reason your brother is correct in wanting this number is that a key will be produced that is perfect! and not a copy of a worn key, which will cause extra wear on the locks.
Its also a good idea to always carry a spare key on the bike.
Koxx4
Locksmith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.