Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was pleased after I lubed the side stand a few weeks ago. But yesterday after parking on a slight down slope and walking towards the restaurant.....down she goes. My Harley had a locking mechanism when there was weight on it that would not allow the stand to move. I can't seem to make mine do that after a brief inspection. I guess I need to keep her in first gear now when parking. I got in the habit of leaving my bike in neutral after I lurched forward on the sporty a few times. Bike is fine other then a good scratch on the mirror plastic. :brokedown:

RED

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

too bad you learned it the bad way but its part of the basics on any bike, park them in gear if they are not in a level ground.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

It's a bad idea to put the bike in gear, as a form of parking break... The cylinder compression will slowly leak out, allowing the bike to roll forward.

If there's a slope, then you should always Back the bike in so that the bike tend to roll Backwards.

On a related note: Also do not use the Reverse as a parking brake either... as that tends to cause another problem in the form of subsequently being unable to start the bike... eg There's a switch on the reverse mechanism that often sticks when left in the same 'reverse' (vertical) position for a long time... Upon return of the reverse lever to the normal 'drive' (horizontal) positon , the switch sticks, preventing you from being able to find Neutral, and in-turn preventing the starter from turning over... You can however push-start the bike (if you're pointed downhill, that is!)

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

To answer you question Big Red no the stand dose not lock.
sorry to hear about the scratch.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

:gunhead:Surely it is unfortunate that your bike took a spill. It happens to everyone eventually. The good news is you got to learn how to pick 'er up...because when the big girl wants to lay down there aint much stoppin' 'er.

No lock on sidestand - I park in gear but I have seen the "leakdown of compression" firsthand on my bike (107,000 miles now). I was parked on a very steep hill at Pikes Peak waiting for the road crew to finish so we coud go down..I watched from the seat as the bike s-l-o-w-l-y crept forward...

But the hill was very steep - I still park in gear even if I am pointing UPhill like is prefered....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.