Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I have a knocking noise, best described as the sound of a clockwork toy when allowed to unwind with no load, when backing off the accelerator and slowing down.

It not from the engine itself as pulling in the clutch and letting revs die has no effect on the speed at which it knocks. It is speed related which leads me to believe it is from the driveshaft somehow. There is no lag in pulling away or backing off as I have had on my GL1100 when the drive was well worn so I am in need of assistance on possible problems/solutions.

Thanks

Steve:15red:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If its a clicking noise then it could either be driveshft splines or the drive splines that move the wheel. Easy enough to checkthese things.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Jason,

Did you get my reply to your off forum pictures that you sent?:?

Steve

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi Jason,

Wheel out:D, final drive off:D, splines appear:D. Swingarm has sideways movement of about 3mm, but none when wheel in place and everything tightened up, is this usual or will I need to visit a Honda dealer to get it sorted (due to the Honda only locknut tool)?

Also, Haynes refers to final drive lash in the knocking noise troubleshooting, but then makes no further reference to it:?, any expansion on what they are talking about?

Further, there was a little movement in the rear wheel spline, is this usual?

Sorry to blast your brains, but am trying to get a manual other than Haynes as I absolutely do not rate them.

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Steve, 3mm is too much play with the wheel out, the only reason you can't feel the play with the wheel in etc is because of all that extra weight which makes it impossible to make the play appear unless the bearings are under load (like when riding).
That could well be what is making the clonking noise, seeing as you have checked everything else at the rear.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Jason,

Thanks for reply. Made locking nut tool out of old imperial socket and trusted dremel. The spindle was quite loose and once tightened slack has been removed and relocked. Upon inspection of bearings it would appear that they were either not long replaced or original factory items suggesting that the bike may well be a genuine low miler and going by appearances of the rest of the observed chassis. At the end of the day I'm hoping that this will resolve the knocking and vibration at 4000rpm as just reported by my brother. It keeps me off the streets at night too (and out of the way of the missus).

Will mail post once I have reassembled and taken her for a ride (the bike).

Fuel wise is it 23L + 4l reserve (27l)or 23L including 4L reserve?

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Steve, you probably need to squeeze a bit of grease in there aswell. It will slow down any wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.