Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 2022 Triumph Bonneville Bobber
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sends the information to the dash? Since I put a new to me fairing on my 1500 with that fairing's original wiring harness, it leaves the dash or the air compressor controller as the only other things I can think of. Both of these were salvaged after my wreck and reused.

The display is often blank until I get down the road a bit. Then it will come on with the time it was when it went out (I'm assuming).The air compressor buttons do nothing when the LCD has no info on it. It was doing this occasionally before my accident. Any suggestions on troubleshooting that?

·
Pwhoever
3,493 Posts
It is a defect most likely on the LCD circuit board on certain GL1500'S. And like you found out, when it is a blank display the compressor will not work. It seems to be a temporary fault that like you also found out, after a short drive down the road, the display will come back alive. Usually about the same time, just prior to the display coming back on you will see several of the idiot lights turn on for about a second first.

The problem shows up in cases of high humidity. Something on the board shorts out but a short ride will get it dried out and start working normally. You may also notice on occasion that your clock will start changing time every second. You may also see at times when you shut off the bike in these conditions, the display doesn't go fully blank and parts of it will still display parts of the screen.

There have been several attempts on fixes but none of them seem to have been permanent. Among those was one where the circuit board was removed, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and then sealed it with clear coat spray paint. Or trying to seal the ribbon cable between the board and display. So far, I never saw a permanent solution. It seems like the LCD displays most affected by this were on 96 or 97 models.

·
Registered
1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 2022 Triumph Bonneville Bobber
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a defect most likely on the LCD circuit board on certain GL1500'S. And like you found out, when it is a blank display the compressor will not work. It seems to be a temporary fault that like you also found out, after a short drive down the road, the display will come back alive. Usually about the same time, just prior to the display coming back on you will see several of the idiot lights turn on for about a second first.

The problem shows up in cases of high humidity. Something on the board shorts out but a short ride will get it dried out and start working normally. You may also notice on occasion that your clock will start changing time every second. You may also see at times when you shut off the bike in these conditions, the display doesn't go fully blank and parts of it will still display parts of the screen.

There have been several attempts on fixes but none of them seem to have been permanent. Among those was one where the circuit board was removed, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and then sealed it with clear coat spray paint. Or trying to seal the ribbon cable between the board and display. So far, I never saw a permanent solution. It seems like the LCD displays most affected by this were on 96 or 97 models.
Actually relieving to hear that it's relatively common and not that I have an oddball gremlin. I can live with what it's doing now.

I'm in FL so PLENTY of humidity and I did wonder about that. The first time it happened was the morning after leaving it outside my tent at a campout. Now, it's been outside under a cover for the last several weeks. So again, more exposed to humidity. Finally got it in the garage again yesterday after some shuffling, so hopefully it's less frequent soon.

I did notice all my lights pop on once. other times I hadn't noticed. Almost like it's a cyclical check the computer does and when it catches it, it resets that part of the circuit.

·
Pwhoever
3,493 Posts
I was going to recommend that choice as well because I had heard good things about it. But if you read further down on the page, you will see this info so now not so sure it would solve the problem...

Font Number Document Screenshot

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
645 Posts
Yep, I think it's really good.
Tiny speed indicator allows you to easily check your speedo accuracy.
Does a daily mileage total.
Clock is a bit small though.
The guy who makes them was very helpful and changed my display settings for UK gallons and metric temperatures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts