Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When the weather is cold (below 50 degrees F) the LCD panel does not power up when I start the bike. Everything else on the bike works fine including the radio. After I've ridden 8 to 10 miles, the fuel and oil lights flash red as they do when the bike normally powers up and the displays then show. The clock has lost its time setting and must be reset.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideas what to check?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Yes, I have experienced similar problems with my 96SE. Shortly after I purchased the bike I went out to take a ride and noticed the LCD wasnt showing its display. Like yours after a few minutes everything came on but the clock was off quite a bit. I did some seaching and have found this to be a sort of common problem on the LCD displays as they age. I have seen it posted that the ribbon wire connector behind the dash panel possibly gets a little dirty and causes the constant 5 volt supply to the radio and LCD battery to be reduced causing the loss of display. I personally believe this to be true. In my metal garage I have a high moisture level issue, especially when the weather is in a constant state of change, i.e. cold nights and rapid warming in the morning time. So to combat this issue I cover my bike and place a small ceramic heater under it allowing the heated air to rise up under the bike. Since I started doing this I rarely have a probem with the LCD display and I have no problems with my bike sweating at all. This does come with a price, electicity. I run the heater from 5 AM until around 2 PM especially during wet weather, fall, and spring. Summer dosent seem to present a significant problem. Sorry for the long story but your problem is shared by others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.