Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Damn and blast!! I've got a '97 GL1500, and when I bought it the LCD screen (between speedo and Revcounter) had 2 "half-moon" black areas - one each side. I think it's called a bleed. I finally "won" one via ebay- off an earlier bike, (they fit the same, but you need to change a ccouple of wires over or the indicator repeaters glow all the time).

It's not an easy thing to change this unit- you start by removing the seat!. It took me about 5 hours altogether.

Still, it was worth it as the replacement was perfect- for 2 months!!! AGHH!

Now it has developed a nasty bleed on the right hand side.

New ones are over £700 in britain. I paid £130 + postage for mine, but can't really claim my money back because it was initially ok. Am I just unlucky? I only changed to a 1500 last year, due to the unreliability of my 1200 model-(the usual Stator and associated electrical woes),despite it's low miles. Steve

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi steve have a look at one of the other guys did

I'm not sure how you can get into the cb unit on the 15, but I have repaired quite a few calculator and multi-meter LC displays over the years. Generally, the LCD glass part has a metallised rubber strip which is sandwiched between the glass and the printed circuit board and it is the intimate contact between these parts which has become slightly higher resistance that normal. If you can get into the unit and separate the glass/rubber strip/ circuit board part, it is a very simple matter to clean the surface with an alcohol wipe and put it back together. I never had a failure yet following the symptoms you describe.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'll check this out on the old one- thanks for the advice. I'll post how I get on- Steve

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I've just stripped the old unit down. What you end up with is a flat sandwich of glass which has the LCD fluid between the plates. This has bled to areas of the screen where it shouldn't go. I presume this must be a manufacturing defect as you cannot touch any of this unit when it's on the bike. It just seems weird that nearly every Calculator or Appliance now has one of these, and they seem ok. Why can't Honda make one that lasts?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi steve according to the reply the glass has to be seperated in order to clean the back of it i am afraid iam not up to speed on this but the guy who posted the fix has done this and there is a company in the states that fix the lcd for $95 its sierra electronics other guys here have delt with them and they will have there address

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve...

Maybe I am missing something here by what your trying to explain vrs what cleaning the LCD connection will do. Electronics is my background. Many Many years of it.

Anyway, canyou can post a clean clear picture of the "bleed"?? I would hate to see you rip it out again for nothing.

Usually cleaning the LCD brings back lost elements of the display. Your description does not seem to describe that issue.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I would be interested in who repairs the lcd screens. Mine has a black half down the right side. It grows larger and smaller depending on whether its being ridden or setting on the sidestand. Its an 88 model 1500
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

David (txrlgl1500),

Is there any way you could send a few good pictures of it being large and small??

Tim

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The problem appears to be the crystal/fluid bleeding out from the display area, and I agree- cleaning the contacts won't cure it. By squeezing glass after warming it a litle, I was actually able to reduce the area of bleed. It will surely come back though. It must be a common problem as anytime a good used one turns up on ebay they fetch plenty of interest and big money- hardly surprising given a new one is over £700- ridiculous. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. Steve

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/57812.htmlhere is the tread covering the topic the screen as you know is filled with fluid that is clear when a charge is passed through it it becomes dark in colour so the screen is not leaking its the particles that should not be charged are showing up dark hence and acording to the guy you only have to clean the inside pannel that covers the liguid iam not up to speed on this but i understand the problem when this happens maby if one of the guys has an calcautor, clock ectthat has this prob he might tackel it and let us know how he got on if this could be sorted sure would save a lot of cash all round

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Agnogal, thanks for the link but it's a different problem. I'm not loosing segments- the fluid that forms them is running into the rest of the screen, just like a large ink blot about 2 inches high and half an inch wide half moons at both ends of screen.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Steve,

Well done Steve. That is the description I was looking for... but would still like to see the pictures.

Cleaning the glass contacts will not help this problem. The majority of these problems, as with any LCD display, color or not, is that they are very temperature sensitive with-in their life span. The colder or hotter they get, the less life you get out of them. It's the nature of the technology.

Sitting in the sun is the worst thing for an LCD. The plates of glass expand, the LC (liquid crystal) expands and the seal along the edges gets compromised. They will with-stand cold better then the heat.

I would say that if people are getting a problem in a particular area, then it is probably design / manufacturing issue. Kinda late to go back to Honda with.

Post a picture and I can tell you for sure.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers
Here is what it looks like. I just parked it about 20 min ago. It varies somewhat in size. Shown to about half the depth into the face.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers:
With key on. It now has started being almost illegible in the clock area.
This happened about a year ago progessively getting worse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Here is my LCD, 1988 / 1500 the bleeding changes constantly with temp changes as mentioned earlier. Also the numeral readouts either do not show or are very faint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Ouch....

Not a darn thing you can do about it! Cleaning the contacts will not help this. It is a separated LCD display. The only thing you can do is replace it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

That is kinda what I figured. a bummer really. I dont think I would trust buying one of these off e$$y either.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks everyone- The pictures posted show exactly the same problem as my bike. I had thought this was only a problem with '97 and '98 year machines- but as my second failure was off a '95 I'm not sure that it is. I can't justify over £700 for new so will keep a look out for another replacement.

Thank you all again Steve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.