Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my driving lights with LEDs, using the instructions on Goldwing docs.
They seem really dim, when I stand back 25 feet or so, you can hardly tell they are on. Defiantly not what I expected.
Has anyone worked through anything similar?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
LED lights are very bright 'to be seen' and work very well as driving lights for daytime use, and also for tail lights. However LED lights do not throw out much light down the road and generally are a poor choice for the nighttime need of lighting up the road ahead of you.

this is why I have four driving lights, two LED for daytime and two halogen for nighttime use only.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew they weren't good for seeing, but better for being seen. Im good with that concept, but I just cant see them. ( I have halogens for night time as well)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I knew they weren't good for seeing, but better for being seen. Im good with that concept, but I just cant see them. ( I have halogens for night time as well)
Sounds like you need to get different LED bulbs in there, or work with a different reflector around it, mine are very bright indeed, I am using the same bulb that your link refers to, but keep in mind that LED bulbs do best when the light is directly facing you, or into a good reflector.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Doubt they are 9 watt LED's...

Ansimp,

I can tell you right off the bat that these are NOT 9 watt LED lights just by looking at them.

To dissipate 9 watts per LED (or even 4.5 watts each) you would need a large heat sink on them to dissipate the heat generated. In not having that heat sink, these will have a very short life span.

Just take a look at any proper, good quality LED light assembly and notice 99.9% of the time the actual case is a finned for heat dissipation. I think that like most companies on flea bay, these numbers have been fudged or absolute maximum maximum values have been published (IE: a $10 audio amp that puts out 350 Watts per channel).

Tim.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
One of the other issues with running an H1-style bulb mount in the '98+ driving lights is that this places the LEDs well forward of the reflector's focus. (I know the article and supplier prolly calls the LED used an "H3", but compare an H1 to an H3 and you'll see where I'm going)

The linked "DIY" article is for the Cornering lamps where the lens is heavily fluted and any light reaching the lens will be dispersed (re-focused seems to be too-precise of a term to use for what really happens). In the driving light configuration, the light output relies significantly more on the reflector working as designed; placement of the light source in teh reflector is much mor critical for the clear lens of the driving light!

IMHO, it's not too surprising that you've ended up with what looks like a tiny LED inside a big window -- It may help to compare the position of the LED SMD chips with the position of the filaments in the OEM bulb ... Again, just me talking here but the pics below, from the DIY clearly show the difference for the positioning of the light source.

You may be able to go with a more accurately place H3 (and higher wattage is always nice too)

The OEM Bulb (look at the mount to filament length - the reflector is 'tuned' to have light from the filament):

Now have a look at the LED assembly (look at light source to mounting plate; I still contend that this is closer to H1 spec):

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I replaced my driving lights with LEDs, using the instructions on Goldwing docs.
They seem really dim, when I stand back 25 feet or so, you can hardly tell they are on. Defiantly not what I expected.
Has anyone worked through anything similar?
Thanks
I did the same job and don't think they can be seen as well as the original halogen. I might convert my bulb holders back to halogen.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
This mod works quite well with the fluted "cornering lamp" lens. the misplacement of the light source just amplified the glare those things produce, but I'd be forced to concur that behind an essentially clear lens, moving the light-source out of the reflector's focus makes it come off like a tiny LED behind clear glass...

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I took Hodgy's advice some time back now, and modied a pair of 68SMD lights via eBay and the result is stunning!...sure to be posts here on "how to"on this forum somewhere, 9 x SMD's is just not enough. You really wouldn't want to return to original 25w incandescents or even halogens on later models.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

That DIY from Goldwing docs was for conversion of the cornering lights not driving lights.

This mod works quite well with the fluted "cornering lamp" lens. the misplacement of the light source just amplified the glare those things produce, but I'd be forced to concur that behind an essentially clear lens, moving the light-source out of the reflector's focus makes it come off like a tiny LED behind clear glass...

I agree with your assessment. The 68 SMD Led's I installed in my cornering lamps on my 97' SE worked well. I did it to be seen not as driving lamps, I have added those and they are LED also.

The cornering lamps tend to focus light out to the left and right and that is good for cagers coming into the road. For all cagers to see you, you would have to have 1 M candlepower spots aimed right at their vehicle.

And even then you would hear, "I never saw him."

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Along with installing HID's,this is my lastest attempt to be seen by oncoming traffic...bit "OTT" some would say, but seems to work so far ! :) and, you can spot a man eatin' sheep or possum from miles away at night..!! :ROFL:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Along with installing HID's,this is my lastest attempt to be seen by oncoming traffic...bit "OTT" some would say, but seems to work so far ! :) and, you can spot a man eatin' sheep or possum from miles away at night..!! :ROFL:

You can NEVER have to many lights ! ! !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.